SR Tom
Newly Registered

Help! -- Whitefly on my basil and oregano

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this topic has been raised before.

I have two questions about a whitefly infestation on my basil and oregano.

1. Are the leaves still edible (many have that silvery "honeydew" slime on them) if I wash them carefully before ingesting?

2. I managed to keep the whitefly numbers down for a while through a combination of blasting them off with a fairly strong water spray and applying a dish soap spray -- but they're back. How can I get rid of them for good, without resorting to drastic measures such as simply dumping the plants and starting over?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

SR Tom

madonnaswimmer

Ugh. I feel for you-- a few years ago my garden got whiteflies, and they are such a pain.

1.) I still ate the herbs from my garden. I think as long as you wash them, you should be fine.

2.) Good luck. Someone had recommended "Safer" brand insecticidal soap to me. I bought 4 bottles, and sprayed every surface of every leaf of all of my herbs (this took hours) every day for the first 4 days or so, then twice weekly for abour 4 weeks, repeating if it rained, and it never got rid of them. At the end of all that, they were still going strong. I also heard you can make a sticky trap by placing packing tape sticky-side-out over something yellow, but that never caught a single fly.

I never got rid of my whitefly infestation. Winter hit, and that was it. It was after that year that I switched to doing every plant from seed.

If anyone has any suggestions that have actually worked for them, I would love to hear it.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”