Boomslang
Cool Member

Catnip / Mint Question

I have grown Catnip and Peppermint this past summer around the yard. I have done some reading on these two herbs that suggest they deter a number of problem insects. I was thinking of planting these throughout
my vegetable garden next year. Maybe, in between each of my tomato plants and around my other vegetables. I know the Mint spreads but I'm not concerned with the spreading issue. Do you think these two herb varieties planted close to my vegetable plants will help deter the usual pests?
Also, was thinking that since these two plants do spread maybe they will provide some ground cover around the vegetables to block out the weed growth. Thanks.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

All I can say is that you will have a bunch of catnip and mint. These 2 are usually ones we contain to some degree. They like themselves and spread...and spread.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I wouldn't recommend it. You can try some lemon or tangerine gem marigolds, yarrow, cilantro, parsely, carrots, nasturtiums, garlic etc. They all repel and/or attract beneficial insects. I am planting all of this in and around my garden beds.

The cilantro, parsley, and carrots have to flower though, cause the beneficial insects are attracted to the nectar from their flowers. The Carrots and Parsley are biennials so will take the 2nd year for flowers.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My personal experience has been that, if planted around the edges of a garden, such herbs may attract certain pests, thereby keeping them away from your preferred garden plants. Planting the herbs right in among your preferred plants might tend to draw the pests into your garden, where they can attack your preferred plants. But perhaps your experience may be different than mine was. :)

One way to keep the herbs from becoming too invasive would be to plant them in containers and set the containers in among your veggie plants. That way, the herbs' roots can't totally take over your garden, but you can still test the herbs to see if they actually offer protection to your veggies. If you find that they don't, you can easily just pick up the containers and move them elsewhere. :)

Boomslang
Cool Member

Thank you guys :D

Runningtrails

My experience has been that catnip doesn't spread nearly as much as some of the other mints.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”