jstrausss

Do Rosemary & thyme take a long time to grow

I'm in NY and I've been trying to grow Rosemary & thyme. there finally coming up but the growth rate is so slow. Is that normal for the NY area?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Being in the NY area shouldn't have much to do with it, here in summertime. I grow both those from seed. Rosemary is very slow to sprout and to grow. By the end of its first season from seed, I usually have a plant that is just maybe 4" high (and that is starting the seed indoors early in Feb). Bring it in for the winter and be very careful with it, it is tricky to over winter. (Plant it in sandy soil like for cactus, don't water very often, but mist frequently). The second year it will grow into a fair sized plant.

Thyme on the other hand, for me germinates readily from seed and grows quickly -- but it is a small plant with small leaves, that tends to sprawl, so it isn't going to get very big or tall.

Tell us more about what you are doing with them, soil, light, water, weather conditions, etc.

jstrausss

I was watering them everyday and from what your saying it seems to much now. The soil is a typical potting soil I bought from Ace Hardware. The weather in NY has been cold at night. Last week was hot but this week its back to almost 70.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, definitely too much watering. These and many other herbs are Mediterranean plants that are adapted to hot and dry. They don't like cold very much either. So cold and wet is killer for them.

jstrausss

ok so far with the advice from this post things are looking up already. If I can remember I will take a pic and post in this thread. amazing what a day of proper treatment can bring when growing.

thurkun

I grow Rosemary var. Arp and it is good down to -10F to -20F, this way it can be left outside and you don't have to worry about all the other details. If you are talking only about a container plant and have no ground to leave it in maybe a variety like Arp or Barbeque ,that are more cold hardy, might do better in a colder location like a window. Here in Chattanooga, TN the cold doesn't enter into discussions about Rosemary since our all-time low was -10F.
My Mother was able to leave a rosemary Arp in the ground in Delaware for some years and it did well until their condo burned down, the plant had taken the cold but the heat got it.
Pat

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”