vtown05

Will my catnip survive the winter?

I planted catnip this summer in July, kind of late I know. I was wondering if it will grow through the winter, die back and come back in the spring, or die off completely so that I have to plant more in the spring?

Zone 8b

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My catnip never survives the winter but it always comes back in the spring. We have very mild winters it is rare to have snow. But the past 2 winters right after Thanksgiving we have had so freak weather 17 degree weather for 2 to 3 weeks straight. My Catnip came back in the spring just like aways. I think it reseeds itself because if comes up in several places in a 4 ft radius from the original plant.

vtown05

Gary350 wrote:My catnip never survives the winter but it always comes back in the spring. We have very mild winters it is rare to have snow. But the past 2 winters right after Thanksgiving we have had so freak weather 17 degree weather for 2 to 3 weeks straight. My Catnip came back in the spring just like aways. I think it reseeds itself because if comes up in several places in a 4 ft radius from the original plant.
Do you think it reseeds itself or grows back from the original roots that grew out? I have mine growing in a container. We have pretty mild winters here in south Georgia also. Although we did have a few flurries one day in February it was the first time it snowed here in 20 years. I heard this winter is going to be a warm one. I hope so.

mtmickey

We get quite cold winters and lots of snow and my catnip comes back every year...no special attention.

thurkun

Our catnip and catmint do well all winter. The only problem is that it is growing much slower than it does during the summer months and the cats nibble it almost to the ground.
Pat, Chattanooga, TN

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”