Yotta Yotta
Newly Registered

Best way to grow catnip in zone 7

Hello! I was just wondering how and where is it best to grow catnip in zone 7? Does anyone have experience with growing catnip in this zone?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Catnip is an adaptable perennial, listed as hardy in zones 3 -9. It wants full sun, adequate moisture and should be fine. It does well in containers. However, the only time I tried growing it, I planted well-started seedlings. The outdoor kitties just rolled them to death. At first the plants would spring back up after being rolled on; eventually they just gave up. So I think if there are any cats in the neighborhood (and who doesn't have cats in the neighborhood :) ) you would have to find a way to keep them away from it until it was well established. I don't know how well that would work, but it might provide some good entertainment! :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It ain't easy...

I just use catnips kissing cousin, catmint (also a Nepeta like catnip, just N. mussinii instead of N. cataria). Better flowers and form for the garden and doesn't quite call them all in like the catnip does, but when you get a pile together and rough it up to release the fragrance they like it every bit as much as the high test.

HG

Nick L.

I'm kinda late but if cats are rolling all over your catnip, you can cut and place bamboo rods around it to keep them from being rolled on. Hanging baskets prevent most attacks

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Puting a cage or a ball bucket from the driving range over the plant should preserve enough crown to survive the feline abuse...

HG

Gerrie

My catmint is very hardy in the shade. Don't know if it's a different light requirement than catnip, but it is in the shade and does well in zone 7.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Is your flowering sparser than full sun Gerrie? I've never thought to try it in shade, because my full sun ones are larger and more floriferous than my partially shaded ones, but that grey folliage is just great and worth it even without flowers...

HG

Gerrie

Yes, not much flowering, but plenty of stalks and very prolific, cats like to lie in it on hot days, since it in the shade of a couple of trees.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I grow it in pots so that it does not spread, catnip is like a weed.

Gerrie

Yeah, I know-it spread quickly through the area it's in, but I've had it nine yrs. without it taking over anything else-wish I could say that about the other weeds!

GardenLisa

My friend grows her catnip in a hanging basket, and it goes crazy! Cats can't reach it on the "shepherds hook" she has it hanging on.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”