PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Bocking 14 Comfrey flowered - time to harvest?

Hi,

I have a little bush of Comfrey that has already flowered. Is this the time to harvest? Anyone have a recipe for comfrey tea?

imafan26
Mod

Comfrey is no longer recommended to be taken as a tea as it contains some dangerous chemicals that can cause liver failure if not properly used.
It does make a good addition to the compost pile as it contains quite a bit of calcium.

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... me=COMFREY

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I am gonna make the tea for my garden not for me.

applestar
Mod

!potatoes! Posted instructions in this thread :arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=48197

...but I don't do it that way as mentioned because I can't handle the "NOT GOOD" smell. Only tried it once long time ago :eek: and that was enough. :>

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I was just doing a COMFREY short research on the net myself (lots there btw).

I have the regular comfrey, and will have more when I get a dedicated new space worked. I have been harvesting the leaves, putting in an empty plastic 'flat tray', leave out to dry. I am cutting off some stalks, then cut off leaves, put stalks/stems in trash. Rather than cut whole plant down, being selective.

The leaves have good N-P-K, especially the potassium, plus calcium and other trace minerals. It can be added to your compost or leaves used as green manure around plants. I am looking to add the crumbled dry leaves around plants, working in the dirt. The potassium is to good one for blooms/fruit, so a real benefit for tomatoes. peppers etc. As I do mostly herbs, and don't want much flower will be using more in flower bed. I am hoping to get some and bag (in brown kraft lunch bags) to sell at the market. The tea sounds nasty, and one more thing I really don't want to mess with!

Hope this helps

imafan26
Mod

I did the comfrey tea for the garden once. It is nasty. I just add the leaves to the compost now like other greens.

I thought you were planning to drink the tea since this is in the herb forum not the compost forum. :oops:

applestar
Mod

Comfrey is supposed to be still good for external use and touted as wonder-herb for bruises and wounds.

Some herbal sites say comfrey salve need to be used with care because comfrey has some kind of cell renewal "something" -- I forget what hormone? Enzyme? -- and improperly cleaned wounds will heal right over the foreign material.

My favorite herb lady says if you get banged up in the garden, just crush a leaf and slap it on.

applestar
Mod

Bumping this one too :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Apple, Methinks you are looking into growing comfrey! Check my post above in this thread.

An update on above notes. Comfrey grows, blooms (bees are all over it), goes to seed and makes more comfreys. I was negligent on mine last season in getting the leaves for compost. I cut some of the leaves, throw in the regular compost as green. Can let some dry to use as browns. I use those empty seed flat trays in a place that gets air, out from rain. Duh! You can also work some shredded leaves in around your plants.

As for the stalks, let bloom, then cut down and trash bagged (bits of stalk can make more comfreys). I wasn't collecting seed much. A few always getting away from me, and I did dig out some babies, potted for the market.

As for medicinal use, several have said it is wonderful to put leaves on a scrape, minor cut to aid in healing. I'd stay away from internal use.

emmsmommy
Newly Registered

Would you consider comfrey kid safe? I'm planning to turn my backyard into a play area for our daughter and wanting to move any plants that might harm her. I know it has medicinal uses and I mainly use it for adding nutrients to other plants.

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

While Comfrey has definitely been moved off the culinary list due to carcinogenic properties, it's not something that would automatically cause injury if ingested. And since it doesn't have a child-friendly flavor, it's doubtful that it would be attractive enough for a child to want to eat enough of it to be harmful.

emmsmommy
Newly Registered

Thank you. I was dreading the thought of moving it. :)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”