chschen
Newly Registered

Where can I buy seeds for evening primrose native to CA?

Hi,

I would like to start growing evening primrose because I want to harvest the seeds to eat, but I want to find one that is native to California. I am having a hard time finding the seeds for the California native species. Can anyone tell me where I can buy these seeds?

Thanks,
Christine

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener.

I'd recommend contacting the Channel Island chapter of the California Native Plant Society: https://www.cnps.org/cnps/chapters/list.php is where I found the link.

Surely they would be your best source of information (or maybe even plant starts...).

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

chschen
Newly Registered

Thank you! That was so helpful. If anyone else is looking for the same thing, I contacted the California Native Plant Society, and one of the board members responded with:

"Try larnerseeds.com or theodorepayne.org for seeds. The genus name is Oenothera, many different species in that genus."

I went with theodorepayne.org because they were cheaper and had a lower credit card purchase limit ($10, Larner Seeds had a $20 limit).

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Glad to help; please let us know how your seedlings come along! I imagine that October, or even later this month, will be planting season for the primroses?

Sounds like they would be perennials, or are they self-seeding annuals? (I'm trying to discern which of our forums would be the most receptive to photos :wink: and discussion about your growing success...)

Happy gardening!

Cynthia H.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

OK. Looks like either one will do. Sunset to the rescue, for the millionth time...

Oenotherae are perennial *or* biennial. The evening primrose (O. caespitosa) "blooms heavily."

Sounds like you'll be supporting the local wildlife with this native plant--feeding bees and perhaps other insects and birds as well. :) And enjoying a gorgeous display, too! :D

"Native Plants" or "Gardening with Wildlife" might be even better locations for those future photos and stories.

Please get back to us soon.

Cynthia

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”