moosetracker

native old fashioned tiger lilies

I have been looking for a while for these. They are very native to alot of places in America, but I could not find them on public roads, and even if the land looked wooded I feared trespassing. No one sold them that I could find. But I found these on ebay 50 for $9.99. the seller seems to have a great reputation by the feedback.

[url]
https://cgi.ebay.com/25-Old-Fashioned-Native-Orange-Day-Lilies-Tiger-Lily_W0QQitemZ260396039536QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260396039536&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
[/url]

Just in case anyone here would be interested, I thought I would let you know.

NEWisc

Kind of hard to figure out why this ebay seller has a good rating. It's clearly false advertising. These plants are not native anywhere in North America.

They are Hemerocallis fulva (orange daylily).

gmehl
Newly Registered

Hemerocalis fulva is a native of China and was imported into the US in the 19th century... having escaped cultivation, it quickly took up status as an invasive, spreading stoloniferously from bulblets on parent plants. In sun to very light shade it's difficult to arouse much hatred for them because they are dramatic.

But an invasive is an invasive. Might I suggest Lilium philadelphicum, Lilum superbum, Lilium canadense, Clintonia borealis, Erythronium albidum, or Erythronium americanum? They're all delightful lilies and all American as apple pie :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Gmehl, lily beetle precludes the use of Genus Lilium in MT's neighborhood; nothing but heartbreak or a lot of toxins. BT san diego has not been much effective to my knowledge (I am on the edge of the effected area and am waiting for attcks to start testing different organic products other than BTSD).

But yessir, Chinese, not American. Many people are confused about native versus non-native; if it is naturalized then it is native to many folks. When I ask most people about their favorite native flower the number one answer is Queen Anne's lace, an import from colonial days...

[url]https://www.ncsu.edu/goingnative/howto/mapping/invexse/queenann.html[/url]

HG

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”