mugen13

styling tips for japanese maple?

anyone got any styling tips?[img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt262/mugen1333/003-2.jpg[/img][img]https://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt262/mugen1333/004-1.jpg[/img]

kdodds
Greener Thumb

The level branches are a problem, especially considering that it looks like the next branch doesn't start until relatively much higher up. I think I might take off the left branch, and bring the right one down, maybe bending the trunk a bit to the right, just a bit, lower than the first branch, and then to the left above the first branch. Just a bit, don't go crazy or you'll wind up with comething reminiscent of mallsai.

mugen13

why are the level branches a problem? I know ideally they are supposed to be staggered but I wonder why?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

mugen13,
why are the level branches a problem? I know ideally they are supposed to be staggered but I wonder why?
Well, they just look better that way for one thing but there is a practical reason as well. When multiple branches emerge from the trunk at the same level the possibility to develop what is known as 'reverse taper' exists.

One of the most basic concepts of bonsai is that of taper. The vast majority of bonsai styles have the trunk getting smaller the higher you go, this is also an aesthetic consideration but an important one. Allowing two branches to emerge from the trunk at the same location creates a situation where a bulge will eventually form. This bulge (reverse taper) is difficult to correct once it is present.

Norm

mugen13

Ah I see. Is it safe at this time of the year to take off that branch? that seems like alot?

Return to “Bonsai Photo Gallery”