jeffcaz02
Newly Registered

bulbs not grown?

I took some bulbs out of the garden a couple of years ago as they had increased so I remembered my mom saying it did good to take up and put in a dry dark place then replant the following autumn which I did, around end of October I replanted these there was a mix of crocus tulips daffs , not a single stem has grown what have I done there were over 60 bulbs I planted in some wooden containers and fresh compost. please help

applestar
Mod

Where are you located and what are the temperatures like now? Crocus should have come up first. Leaves first, then flower stalks.

But if you have rabbits in the area, they will go after Crocus as first treats of spring -- sometimes I see the leaves one day then they are munched the next, and I won't even see the flower buds ever come up. Tulip bulbs are toothsome treats to burrowing rodents including chipmunks, voles, ground squirrels. You'll never know until they don't come up the next spring.

When you planted, did you plant them at proper depth? How did you prep the bed? Did you make sure the area is well-draining and is not waterlogged during the winter?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Unless you are in the far north all of those should have sprouted, grown, and bloomed by now. My tulips are finished blooming already. I don't know what happened to your bulbs, but they didn't make it. :(

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”