Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Bulbs over winter

New gardener here.

I have a huge flower garden, but did not want to plant bulbs in it during the fall of 2016 for fear the bulbs will be over watered during the spring/summer of 2017. I potted them this fall. I opted to put them in baskets, then in the shed thru the winter. Zone 7. I have not watered them...let alone even look at them the entire mild winter.

I am trying to get some input here. My theory, check them out within the week (first week of March) and to bring them out in a week or so. I read to check on them and if I see any growth, bring them outside. Any input appreciated. If we get a freeze up...I will keep them in the shed. I have not watered those baskets all winter. I have no clue if I will see any growth this spring.

So...here is my next newbie question. I have many squirrels. They have been digging away at my garden this winter. I read they can be pretty stupid, not remembering where they hid their goods. Fortunately the digging has them not digging up plants that I planted during the fall. They are obviously looking for food they think they hid. I fear that their digging may continue during the growing season, (spring/summer). If so. I would hate to hurt them, pepper flakes, etc...

Do you think they discovered this bed and will continue to dig during the spring and summer? If you have experienced this, can you advise me on what is the best way to deter squirrels from digging in my flower bed? I am hoping this nonsense stops once spring arrives and they stop the digging. The garden was new last year and no squirrel issues.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I have found that those squirrels remember pretty well that they buried a nut there but sometimes the nut rots or another squirrel has taken it. I had a walnut buried about a foot deep in one of my pots. Those stupid squirrels kept digging and digging in the pot but they didn't dig deep enough. I found it when the seedling came up. Often if you dig where you see them digging the most you will find their nuts.

There are 2 ways to get squirrels to stop digging in your garden. The easiest is to lay some 1 x 1 inch cage wire on the beds in your garden or on the top of your pots. Works if planting seeds or bulbs, not so well if you put plants in the area. The other is to eliminate the squirrels. This doesn't work so well either because there are always more squirrels just waiting to cause trouble. Repellent sprays are effective until they get washed away by rain or wear off. Hot pepper flakes are ineffective and can burn your plants, at least that was my experience.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Thanks for your experience.

I have been online googling squirrel issues. Of course there are many ideas...but I really hope to not hurt the squirrels, hence cayenne pepper...etc.

Has anyone tried the coffee grinds (not used grinds....just coffee in general) and bone meal? Sounds not dangerous to the squirrels, but I see it out there as an option. Input please?

I did not have such a severe problem during last summer. This started in the fall. Maybe the warmer months have an alternate for squirrels, finding there own food. I suppose I will notice that during the upcoming warmer weather and find summer months are not an issue.

I worry this spring, as I will be doing a good amount of mulch, and wondering will the squirrels still dig. I am thankful they have not dug up any plants...specifically my new babies planted this during the fall of 2016.

Is it too good to be true that the easy way out would be coffee (fresh grounds, not used from filters) and bone meal, an equal mix, and sprinkle it throughout the flower bed? Has anyone tried that, and if so...did it work? If not, please...any suggestions? My brother says they will go away in the spring and summer and this is just typical winter behavior, digging.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

I consider myself lucky that the squirrels did not dig up any plants. I love the cute little squirrels. I am in a quiet area and the squirrels are safe and fun to watch. I have been feeding them peanuts (circus style peanuts) through the winter in an abandoned house next door....hoping they would find places to bury those nuts. All in all......I want to hate the squirrels, but am trying to have us just get along.

Please....advise and experience. Thank you!

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

I'm sorry I went from potted spring bulbs to squirrels.

Never even noticed.

So....potted bulbs and when to give them touch of the outdoors......

.......and squirrels.

Thanks so much for any help on these two issues.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

The potted bulbs, should be watered a bit. Not wet, just barely damp. They do need water to grow but too much will cause them to rot.

Squirrels and coffee grounds, yes, coffee ground will repel them temporarily. I put a generous layer of coffee grounds on everything and the squirrels stayed out for a couple months. The odor fades and the squirrels come back. These were Starbucks leftover grounds and expired beans, heavy layer up to an inch in spots. I have found that season doesn't matter to squirrels, if they think it smells good they'll dig it up and eat it. I never used bone meal with the grounds. Just plain used grounds, lots and lots of used grounds.

The digging isn't quite as noticeable in mulched areas and mulch seems like it keeps the squirrels from digging up plants, unless the plants are ones the squirrels want to eat.

One funny thing squirrels will do, if you grow sunflowers with small flowers the squirrels will occasionally bite off the entire flower and run off with it. They do the same thing with ears of popcorn.
Last edited by ButterflyLady29 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

I suppose it would help if I were a coffee drinker? I am desperate and my plan is to mix the coffee and bone meal, 1-1 ratio....it's worth a shot. I'll rake the bed prior so I can easily see if it worked.

As for the bulbs, I am happy to say my bulbs have sprouted 4-6 inches as the sat in the shed all winter, without a drop of water since Nov. I actually ventured out to the shed today, first time in months (out of sight, out of mind) and was blown away at what I saw! It was getting dark out, so my plan is to give them a light dose of water tomorrow and watch the temps. They are doing so well I don't want to jinx it by thinking it is a good idea to bring them out just yet. I planted them in baskets, and used cellophane to protect the baskets from the potting soil. They will look like Easter baskets. Never planted bulbs before, so to see the made it throw our very mild winter, I am thrilled.

I know I talk too much....lol....sorry.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Do you have any Starbucks nearby? The stores often save their used grounds for gardeners. You might have to check with a few stores or go every day to pick up saved grounds but they are free and it keeps the grounds out of the landfill.

applestar
Mod

If they are sprouting, they need lots of light. Full sun.

If you are dealing with squirrels, you will need to put them (the baskets with bulbs) in a cage or something... maybe put milk crates over them.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Another alternative is wire dog crates. Check your local craigslist for free or cheap pet crates. You can put the pots inside them and shut the door. Squirrels can't get in but light and rainfall can.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

I think I may have to order a good supply of wood skewers and set them in the baskets, having many pointed ends stick out of the soil to deter the squirrels on digging through the baskets for the bulbs. To have to cover the baskets would be the last thing I want to do.

Thanks everyone for your help. More input about squirrel deterrent always helpful.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Let me know if that works. The only real deterrent I have ever found is lethal control. On the upside, squirrel tastes pretty good.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Do coffee grinds need to be used grinds or can I sprinkle straight from the container and set some in my potted bulbs. The bulbs are still in the shed, growing nicely. Maybe 4-6 inches growth. I'm afraid of the freezing overnight, but I assume they need some sun. May have to bring them out of the shed during the day, and put them back at night? Any advice is appreciated. Butterflylady29....gross on the squirrel tasting good....like chicken, huh?

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

What time of year do the bulbs generally bloom? April? Early, mid, late? I can't find the answer through googling. Zone 6b. Thanks.

applestar
Mod

Be as specific as you can -- what kind of bulbs are they? Are they named varieties?

HOWEVER --- Even knowing exactly what they are, same flower bulbs from same batch planted in different locations will grow and bloom at slightly different times (a week or so apart) due to microclimate differences in soil temperature.

In my garden, snowdrops bloom first (already), then crocuses (some), daffodils (I have early, mid, and late bloomers -- earliest had tried to bloom already), grape hyacinths, tulips (early, mid, and late) and hyacinths

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

First of all...I said zone 6...in case my typo wasn't noticed. I'm zone 7b.

I bought them online...wanted unusual specimens for my first time.

Tulips - Mona Lisa, Princess Irene, Angelique and Ice Crystal.
I also bought Peach Cobbler Daffodils.

They are in deep baskets, planted according to height and time of bloom. I wanted them to bloom at the same time, and accounted for their individual heights, short in front, etc. I lined the baskets with cellophane....Easter style. Mainly lined them so the dirt doesn't seep through the baskets when watered. Did cut holes in the bottom cellophane. Used Miracle Grow potting soil. Watering has been a non issue, I planted them by end of Sept and put them in the shed...watered well, but only once, and never looked back. Opened the shed 2-25-17 and found they took well. Shocked me as I never watered them since planting them. Didn't realize that little detail. But they did great. Mild winter helpful? I'm thinking typical bloom (flowered) by mid April? Food stores/supermarkets sell them fully bloomed for Easter, so that's all I have to go on. It figures NOW we get freezing at night, mild all winter. But the supermarkets maybe be selling them, as I read, forced bloom.

Should I pick sunny days to let them out, and put away at night, temps in the 20-30* range. I worry leaving them out overnight due to the squirrels. The heights are 3-6 inches right now. Would squirrels leave them alone, since the bulb has some good growth...or finding a quick fix that the squirrels will stay away with the coffee grinds? I can have used coffee grinds once I let people know I need them...or will ground coffee from the can, uncooked be the same thing?

I am obviously new to bulbs, but to see they lasted the winter, I am hopeful (very excited!) they will continue to do well....but curious about the time frame and squirrels. Me and my squirrels need a serious meeting. Quiet area and they thrive here because of it. I will not want to hurt them, let alone eat them...lol.

Any info SO appreciated. I'm a newbie and learning...and can't wait til my flower gardens come up this yr, being their second yr...very successful last summer, with proper transplant changes in Sept due to sun/shade for this summer. If I am doing anything wrong, please feel free to smack me in the head.

Sorry I talk too much. Newbie excitement. Bottom line....when should I set baskets outside so I don't make a mistake and take them out of shed too early or late...and squirrel issue/coffee grinds used or is dry ok? I don't drink coffee. LOL

I can't thank any of you enough for guiding me through this. I've been emailing Cheap Sams, central Long Island, and they have been helpful...really helpful, but I was hoping to find help here for the bulbs. I use them for the perennials. I really need to leave poor Cheap Sams alone. I'm like the cat lady at the vet.

Sea Salt37
Newly Registered

"Bulbs" - that's a huge category. Lots of different growing behaviors, blooming times and degrees of appeal for squirrels. (Daffodils, for instance, are rarely bothered by any critters.)

Curious - what kind of plants do you have?

SS37

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Tulips and daffodils.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”