SamBro00
Newly Registered

Howdy from Houston

Hi,

I'm new here and also new to gardening, one could say I'm all green except for my thumb ( Comedic Drumline). I have been thinking about growing some food for my wife and I, and decided to do some research ( Watching Videos ) on growing techniques. After a few days of "how to's", I have decided to use the Self watering Planter or SIP method. I have never been the best to consistently water my plants, so I figured self watering is the way to go. I have tried to grow in the past, but never was committed enough to see it through and understand how my plants reacted to certain things I did. So here I am now, a "adult", who still does not know what he's doing. But now it's a new world, with Youtube and Google! Anyway, I went to Home Depot, Lowes and the garden center for supplies. 100$US later I had what I needed to get started. For my 1st experiment I decide to try in 2 buckets, just to see how well they would turn out before putting a lot of effort to do a bigger planter and fail. Here's the kicker, I planted 3 Tomato plants in one of my buckets and Strawberries, Cilantro, Oregano and Garlic chives in the other. I should have done more research on what I was planting before putting so much in these small buckets. I really feel like an idiot... Its been a good 3 weeks and they seem to be developing ok, but I am concerned about transplanting them after they have been in my Perlite, Potting Mix, Peat Moss and fertilizer to top it off combo for that amount of time. We also had a massive down pour today and I'm concerned they are overwatered. I had been happy with my results of growth up until yesterday when I finished a bigger Planter and planted some more store bought plants (going to start from seed If this works out well). In this new planter I tried a different ratio of the mix combo, I added Vermiculite and used an Organic potting Mix. Instead of just putting fertilizer at the top I also put some in the mix towards the bottom of the container just above the wick. I did a little more diligence this time and planted a Garden Salad Variety, Kale, Orange Bell Pepper and Basil.in a container that is 27" x 10" x 10" give or take an inch, all plants seem to have enough space to grow in. I want so badly to grow my own food and enjoy my mini farm and garden in the backyard. I am open to all tips and tricks to be successful, so please let me know what you think. Take it easy lemon squeezes!

After posting this in my introductions, I received some feedback regarding the amount of plants I put in my planters and need to seperate ASAP. I will start working on another planter this evening and transplant over the weekend. If anyone can give me pointers to do this smoothly without putting my plants into shock or anything, I would really appreciate it.

Cheers!

imafan26
Mod

Hello and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you dived in with both feet. It is easy to try to put too much in one pot. It is best to build the biggest container rather than start small. If you have problems remembering to water, you can do a small in ground bed
4x4, 6ft circle, or 10x10 and water it with a hose and garden sprinker on a faucet timer.
Strawberries do well in small containers and baskets but they will need room to spread out.
Five gallon buckets work for one pepper each, or one eggplant

I use styrofoam boxes that look like a deck planter for herbs. The boxes come from restaurants and the ice house they were used to store fish.
Tomatoes need a large reservoir and need a lot of root volume so I make my SIP from rubbermaid 18 gallon totes. They don't last more than a couple of years because they are not UV resistent but they are cheap pots for $4 each. 18 gallon muck buckets work for tomatoes and their size means that when the plants are small they don't need daily watering, but again if remembering to water is an issue, then automation is the answer. I use a drip system for some of my plants. Although, I still have plants that are not on sprinklers so I have to water everyday. Once you establish a routine it is easier to remember to water.

SamBro00
Newly Registered

I am a fan imafan26! I really appreciate the help! I am still kind of bummed I have to move the tomatoes, they are starting to really take off, but hopefully they will stay that way after the move (fingers crossed).

Here is the plan....Oregano, chives and cilantro in one bucket and I will plant the strawberries in a styrofoam cooler I just received some steaks in (and try to make myself water them routinely :)) or until I put together an irrigation system (waiting on PAYDAY).

I will make another larger container ( 10 to 12 gallon in size) and plant 2 of the 3 Tomato plants in it and I will brainstorm what to do with the last plant, until then I will keep it in the same bucket. I still want to make a large bed, but want to keep the garden some what mobile until I can find the perfect spot for it.

I did not have room to plant the Radishes and Cucumbers I purchased, because I learned my lesson and know I will need something very large for them. Any pointers?

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”