maringal
Newly Registered

Seeking suggestions for an evergreen plant by front door

Hello, I'm new here and am not good at gardening. I live in an apartment and have a few plants on my back deck. I'm in need of some suggestions for an evergreen plant which will stay attractive year round to have outside my front door which gets no direct sun but has good light. I like round, full plants or tallish, thin-leaved plants. I live in zone 9b. I'm not concerned about freezing because I can cover the plant but it can get over 90 degrees in the summer.

Is my doorway considered "deep shade"? I don't see plants that say "deep shade" on the plant tags.

I tried a Norfolk pine and the needles began to brown so I gave it away. (How does one create humidity?) Ferns do well in these conditions but my neighbor who is right next to me has several big ferns and I want something different from what they have. I tried a button fern but it was very slow growing and lost it in a flood when I moved it temporarily to the backyard. I tried another delicate-looking fern that was attractive but it did not do well at all.

I like azaleas and camellias but was told they need some sun or they will get thin and leggy. Daphne is nice but a bit pricey for a smallish plant.

Hostas are attractive. Because it would not get any direct/dappled sun I read I would need either a very green one or a bluish one and am not sure if I can find one. The staff at nurseries only seem to know/recommend what they have in stock.

I bought a Podocarpus today but I'm not sure this particular one will do well with no direct sun at all so it may have to go back. (I will research it tomorrow.) I was told I can cut off the top to keep it under 7 feet tall. I saw a two-ball topiary Eugenia at the big box store today that I could get but I need to research it.

I tried to upload a pic of my front door area but the size is too big.

I'm getting a bit weary at doing research. Does anyone have some suggestions?

applestar
Mod

Are you looking for evergreen tree-type? ...but then you were also talking about ferns....

The plant I thought of is fuchsia. It's often thought of as hanging basket plant/flower, but the one I have is an upright variety with long trumpet-shaped flowers -- Gartenmeister Bonstedt. I have to bring it inside for the winter but it is very forgiving and tough, drought tolerant, full shade tolerant and will continue to bloom, and is hardy in cold to near frost temperatures -- nearly last one to be brought inside in the fall -- though I don't think it's frost proof.

imafan26
Mod

Jade plant, ficus tree, scheflera. These are often grown indoors but will tolerate being in a pot and can like high light. They will handle heat if they get enough water. Lady palms (Rhapis) is also another plant that is good indoors and out even in shade or sun in marginal conditions. The only other plant I can think of is Sanseveria (mother in law's tongue). It will grow in shade, can take the heat. Grows more or less upright, you will need to trim the roots as it grows.

For the most part they are not frost tolerant, but can be brought indoors for winter. The ficus will loose its leaves but they will grow back. They would have to be hardened off to go back out when the weather is nice.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”