Susan W
Greener Thumb

Re: Potting soil variation

River, you need to mess around and find things that work. I can suggest what I do here, just shy a few inches rain from you, and a tad chillier winter.
Cut back on watering. The larger the container, more 'dirt' and more resiliant to temps and water variations. I do a walk around daily, may water the 4" babies and qt starts daily or every other day, but larger 10 -12" 2 x week if no rain. The larger ones perhaps 2 x week, depending. When you water daily, is not good for plants, and your fertilizer pee's out in drainage. The top inch can feel dry-ish, and is good for your plants. In summer usually out daily PM with water hose, cold beverage of choice, and do bird baths, spot water other things.

River

Susan W wrote:River, you need to mess around and find things that work. I can suggest what I do here, just shy a few inches rain from you, and a tad chillier winter.
Cut back on watering. The larger the container, more 'dirt' and more resiliant to temps and water variations. I do a walk around daily, may water the 4" babies and qt starts daily or every other day, but larger 10 -12" 2 x week if no rain. The larger ones perhaps 2 x week, depending. When you water daily, is not good for plants, and your fertilizer pee's out in drainage. The top inch can feel dry-ish, and is good for your plants. In summer usually out daily PM with water hose, cold beverage of choice, and do bird baths, spot water other things.
I think with the mixture I use it causes me to have to water more often especially in the heat of the summer. Daily based on looking at the plants when they are stressed. U are correct with the loss of fertilizer I just add it a little sooner. It was a bad season for tomatoes because of the heavy rains we received in the spring with root rot & etc. I didn't have those problems.
It's the trade off.
Now that it's cooler I only water them as u suggested.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”