River

Growing vegetables in containers

For the last couple of years I have enjoyed growing cherry tomatoes as well
Bell & sweet peppers. Living in the city with the highest rainfall I have to be concerned with adequate drainage. I was told by a friend who studies plant diseases & works for the auburn horticultural center here in mobile who suggested using the mini pine bark nuggets that I can get at lowes.

I use a little miracle grow with a lot of bark and it has worked well plus a little lime to prevent root rot primarily for the tomatoes.

Now I am trying something a little different. Instead of miracle grow trying to go organic I still use the nuggets but I got a bag of the soil conditioner which I read maybe on this forum that it's pine bark finely shredded. Plus I mixed in compost manure. I am trying this with brussel sprouts. I have broccoli and cauliflower planted in the pots that I grew the tomatoes in this summer. I will compost it afterwards.

Has anyone else tried the pine bark mini nuggets? Now we do have hot temps which requires daily watering during the summer but we have the thunder boomers that can drop anywhere from 1-3 inches in less then an hour & this is where I feel they come into play

I

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Haven't tried them, but you are right, in your conditions, good drainage will be of primary importance. Applestar uses pumice gravel in some of her soil mixes.

imafan26
Mod

I haven't used pine bark much, termites are a problem and they have no problem boring into woody plants like roses, hibiscus and mock orange. I have tried compost and manure in pots trying to be more organic. Everything died. Vermicompost however does not kill the plants.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”