leke
Cool Member

Saw this Video of a Container Grower But no Water run-off?

There is an interesting youtube video which demonstrates a successful Indian container grower preparing her containers. I noticed that the design doesn't handle the run-off at all in the containers -- in comparison to how a tray might catch run-off water.

I was wondering what your opinion about this was - ie. catching water in gravel and sand? I would have thought the method shown would have created quite anaerobic conditions and was therefore quite bad for plants/veggies. Then again, perhaps that's how the natural ground stores water.

Video: https://youtu.be/DXJNWdn78so?t=29s

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

In a place where water is as scarce as it is in India, this type of planting may be necessary. So I preface my remarks by acknowledging that vast difference, and my total lack of knowledge about what it would be like to try to grow anything in India.

Although there were holes put in the bucket containers in this vid, I would never fill the bottom of a container with gravel, and absolutely not use sand in any container at all. The soil mix they were using looked like it was comprised entirely of fine particles, barely larger than dust, which IME is not the best type of soil for containers. Whatever type of soil one would use, I would recommend against packing it down. Roots need air as well as moisture, and a soil mix of such fine particles, combined with packing, will make it much more difficult for roots to grow. There may not be alternatives available for potting mixes there, but if one had a choice, I would choose something much more chunky, porous, with air pockets in it. (But may be necessary if water is extremely scarce/expensive.)

She is sprinkling gently toward the end because if it were poured more quickly, the finely particled soil would be washed/moved around. If one has a very chunky, porous mix, water can be applied copiously without disturbing the particles, and any excess will immediately drain from the container. Any mix that does not drain immediately is not optimal, where choices are available.

Doing this in the sun, or even in the shade in the heat of afternoon can be extremely stressful to the plants. By the time the vid ends, the plants are wilted.

I would never put soap powder on edible plants, but I have no idea what that means if you're in India. It is probably something much more organic than an American product, because they say several times they are growing organically and avoiding chemicals.

I love their attitude and they did have a lot of good looking plants.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”