jrmtl

Need a plant id

Hello,

Would anyone know the name of this tropical plant, I got it as a gift and would like to take proper care .

[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/63269976@N00/6063420530/][img]https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6071/6063420530_a9f9a204e1.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/63269976@N00/6063420530/]IMG-20110820-00011[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/63269976@N00/]johnnyriv[/url], on Flickr

thanks !

lorax
Greener Thumb

Dracaena compacta cultivar. Very easy care - water when dry, give fairly high amounts of sun.

Queenie26

This one is a type of Dracaena (Dracaena reflexa to be specific)

jrmtl

Thanks alot !

It's not next to a window directly but not far ... is that ok?
Understood on watering :)

Queenie26

That's ok as long as it gets enough sunlight :)

Schila
Cool Member

Uhhh I like this plant.
What kind of soil does it required and when should you repot it?

jrmtl

In the past few days some leaves have fallen off and some others have started becoming brownish around the top ?

I don't water too much and it sees daylight all day... I'm I doing something wrong or is it dying ?

thx

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It looks like it might be in a cache pot. If it is, do you remove it each time you water it, to be sure it's never left standing in water that has drained off? Just a suggestion.

Overwatering or underwatering would both cause the symptoms you describe. In the case of overwatering, some of the roots would rot, so there wouldn't be enough to support the top growth. In the case if underwatering, lack of water would cause some of the roots to die back, again leaving too few to support the top growth.

jrmtl

oh , what can I do now ? I haven' over or under watered for sure .

Should I change pot and soil ?
what would you suggest

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are telling us you haven't over watered, but you didn't really answer Kisal's question about the cache (outer) pot. Have you lifted the inner pot up to see if there's any water in the outer pot? Have you lifted your plant out of the pot it's in to see what the soil and roots at the bottom look like? (You can easily do this without damaging your plant at all.) You might be surprised...

jrmtl

Actually the underside does not detach on this "cache" pot , it's intact , so I have to lift the plant and see what u say... will do soon

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If it isn't 2 pots, one inside the other, then it isn't a cache pot. It's just made to resemble one. Those pots with permanently attached saucers must be picked up about an hour after the plant is watered, so any water that has collected in the saucer can be poured off.

Dracaenas don't require much water, preferring to be on the dry side. But the soil in the pot looks rather wet to me. How much water do you give it, and how often?

I do think overwatering is the problem here. You can remove the plant from the pot and look at the roots and soil, if you like, just to check things out. If you're gentle, it shouldn't do any harm to the plant. Then you'll know for sure whether the plant is being overwatered. Overwatering is very common. It's probably the most common cause of plant death. Undfortunately, once root rot sets in, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to save the plant. I know you've said that you're fond of this plant, so I hope I'm wrong about it being overwatered. Perhaps it's early enough that there isn't serious damage to the roots. :)

The soil should be a light and loose mixture that is very rapid-draining. :)

jrmtl

No it's only one pot , but I think it's not suited for this plant or can the earth be the problem? I give it about a cup a week of water and it probably doesn't even reach bottom

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Well, it's just my opinion, but I believe a plant's roots need water, so water should be poured on until it drains freely out the drainage holes. After 45 minutes to an hour, any water in the saucer should be poured off. For plants like Dracaena, that like to be a little on the dry side, wait until the soil is dry down to about an inch or two below the surface, before watering again. Another method is to heft the pot in your hands right after a thorough watering, so you can learn to judge by the weight just how wet the soil is.

Giving the plant "just a little" water, but frequently, is only "teasing" it. If you don't give it enough water, it can't develop a healthy root system to support healthy leafy growth on the top. Also, without sufficient water, a plant's roots can't absorb nutrients from the soil. But again, that's just my opinion. :)

jrmtl

Well.. the plant is really starting to lose most of it's leaves really fast :(
I think it really doesn't like the pot or earth.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Dracaenas, as a rule, aren't very picky about the soil they're in, as long as it drains quickly. The pot looks fine to me, except it would be better if you could lift it out of the saucer. I definitely wouldn't put the plant in a larger pot.

There is no reason why you shouldn't repot the plant. The only thing is that fall is approaching many areas -- I didn't notice your location -- and plants go into dormancy at that time. It's based on the number of daylight and dark hours the plant gets. It matters because plants use even less water during dormancy, so you will have to be even more careful not to overwater.

Be gentle with the roots. There will be a period of time after repotting during which they won't be able to absorb moisture from the soil. The plant has to grow new feeder roots first. The leaves may continue to drop during that time. That's about all the help ican offer. Good luck to you! :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”