buzzcut

what to do with potting soil mix.....

ok, probably getting a slap upside the head for bringing this topic up so early! ;)

I would just consider myself an amateur when it comes to gardening, so, what do you do with your potting soil at the end of your growing season? or, what do you do with it if your plants happen to croak in your pots during the growing season?

have to admit, I have always just tossed mine to the garbage.

just wondering if there are any real benefits in keeping it (I.e., breaking it up and adding to veggie or flower garden)?

shadowsmom

I only throw it away if I think it may contain some sort of disease or bug. Otherwise I throw it in the compost pile, fill in a rut in the yard or hole from something I dug out. I do something with it. It should have some use unless it's carrying something, then I throw it away.

I use some really large containers and use the older stuff, mixed with compost, at the bottom of the container.

froggy

Same here, Depending on the condition it's in, I either use it to top up containers that have gone low, or I use it at the bottom. If the plant that was in it did poorly, I may just toss it under the trees at the back of the property. That way I don't feel like I just wasted it...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If it contains some sort of bug, you can just seal it in secure containers and freeze it for a week or so. (I think it really only requires a few hours at freezing temps to kill insects, but I left mine in the freezer for a couple of weeks. I just like to be sure, y'know. ;) )

If you think it's contaminated by a soil-bourn disease, you can sterilize it by moistening it, putting it in a roasting pan, covering it tightly with foil, and baking it at 300º F for a couple of hours in your oven. Be prepared for it to stink up the house, though. (I recommend only doing this in the summer months, when you can throw all the windows and doors wide open. :lol: ) After it's sterilized and has cooled, you can mix it half and half with fresh compost, to renew the good bacteria and fungi healthy soil contains. :)

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”