earth

Should I use "Gardners - composted steer manure" ?

hi,
yesterday I bought "Gardners - composted steer manure" along with "Gardners - potting soil" from Lowes, now when I searched online there are few reviews saying composted steer manure should not be used as it might cause e-coli ! and others are saying that it might contains lot of anitibiotics as those poor animals are fed lot of anitibiotics to gain weight and make them ready for slaughter. I didnt know this when I bought it. It is just for $0.98 .. I am planning to throw it away or return it .
Does anyone use it? They also had poultry manure.... I am now scared of all bacteria and other stuff I will get when I use it.
thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I wouldn't be worried about it, myself. I think it would be perfectly safe to use the steer manure.

I don't pay too much attention to warnings that something "might" happen, unless there is substantial evidence that the alleged danger actually has happened to someone. After all, I "might" pick up a cold or the flu when I go out today, but I'm not going to stay home for the rest of my life.

All that is just my opinion, though! :lol:

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

If it was quality manure compost I'd so it'd be fine, but something that cheap you never know. I'd only buy compost or manure compost if it was organic, otherwise what's the point?

vermontkingdom

Wouldn't all compost, including manure compost, be organic?

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Not really. Alot of trash dumps make compost out of brush pickups etc. Other companies go to trash dumps to pick up the brush ad lawn bags full of leaves etc to make compost. These aren't organic sources. People throw awat dones of garden refuge that get compsoted at the dump, or sold for compost, that are full of chemicals. Peopel use herbicides mixed with diesel or gasoline to kill a bush or tree, then send it away during bulk trash or brush pickups. Those items won't make organic compost. Although most chemicals will break down or wash out during the compost period, nto all will. I knew a guy in austin who bought three big bags of compost from a place that composts Austin's brush trash, and it killed all his plants. He got it tested and it was full of herbicides that killed his plants. You gotta be careful where your compost comes from, some people will compost aything and says its fine. Finding an certified organic compost means you're garaunteed you don't' have any chemicals in it.

I've also heard stories, none personal, about people testing compost they bought and found chemical fertilizers have been added in order to insure they work.

earth

I finally returned the composted steer manure bag since Lowes is just couple of blocks away.... will go for organic one.
Now I have purchased Gardners Potting soil which has peat, sand and forest compost... hope this will be fine... but I see a lot of wood chips in it :roll:

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Wood chips are just fine, in fact are good. They can help with drainage. I mix wood chips about 1/2'' in size into all my pots, and they've done much better ever since, now that they don't water log as much. Any organic material is good unless it prevents drainage.

earth

thanks!! I think I was unnecessarily worrying about those wood chips :lol:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”