gardenbeet
Newly Registered

indoor plants ...not much light

Hi there - I am about to install an indoor wall planting - what plants would create a great foliage display? The light levels wont be great but not dark either. I can water daily if need be and they will have about .4 cubic feet of soil - am not really looking for flowering showy plants.

thanks in advance

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I take it this is a display for your store, so you want something kind of striking, lush and tropical looking. I'd go for a mixture of green tropicals with big lush foliage and some things with bold markings, colorful variegations. Here's some suggestions:

Lush green: spider plant, dieffenbachia, dracaena (dragon trees and others), elephants ear, rubber plant, monstera (swiss cheese plant), crocodile fern

Bold markings/ colorful foliage: arrowhead vine, Croton, Maranta (herringbone plant), Calathea (includes zebra plant and others), Caladium, Anthurium, Alocasia (African mask plant), purple wandering Jew, Fittonia, Ti plant, coleus, polka dot plant

The colorful ones tend to want a fair amount of light to keep their color, so you might have to have some artificial lighting on them. All of them are tropical and want to stay moist and warmish (don't let temperature go below 60). Besides keeping the planting medium moist, they benefit from misting and a fair amount of humidity.

Hope this helps!

gardenbeet
Newly Registered

hey thanks - have printed list - I am familiar with some of these they are an interesting mix ....thanks for your time

CallMeJosh
Newly Registered

If you haven't ordered yet, I'd recommend a peace lily, the foliage is absolutely gorgeous.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”