9aGardner

Fruit Trees in Southern GA, Zone 9a

Hello All,

I would like to start the new topic for my community in Hardiness Zone 9a.
Woodbine, GA, St. Mary's, GA, and Kingsland, GA

Please introduce yourselves if you like and please note the location you are in. I would also like for you to state which fruit trees you have grown and what was the outcome, successful, failed, and a description as to why you believe your tree failed , succeeded etc...

9aGardner

Hi Everyone,

My Name is Danny, I recently moved to Sothern GA | Woodbine | Camden County | Hardiness Zone 9a.

I have planted a ton of fruit trees to see what will and will not grow. Please excuse me for not believing some of the locals when they tell me almost nothing grows here. I refuse to listen to this and hopefully I will be 90% correct . I have taken it upon myself to try and plant many fruit trees and I would love to share with you my results.
Here is a list of items I have planted

Please note: I am only in year one and will not be able to provide real results until summer of 2018 !
Plant Purchases:
1 - Nursery in Yulee, FL
2 - Lowe's in Kingsland (1 yr warranty on all fruit trees)
3 - Tractor Supply in Kingland, GA (End of year they sell off what's left for 60% off)
4 - https://www.logees.com/ - Rare Fruit trees (Strawberry Tree, and Aronia ‘Viking’ )

Peach:
1 - Flordaking Peach
2 - Need to get the info
3 - Need to add the info

Pear:
1 - Kieffer
2 - Bartlet Qty 2
3 - Florida Home

Apple:
1 - Anna
2 - Golden Dorsette
3 - Einsheimer
4 - Fuji

Fig:
1 Turkey fig (Bought 2) one lost leaves in the spring and just died. The one next to it 10 ft. is thriving. No Idea why the other died.

Citrus
1 - Owari Satsuma Qty 2.
2 - Brown Select Satsuma Qty 2
3 - Sweet Kumquat - Qty 2
4 - Meyer Lemon
5 - Persian Lime
6 - Blood Orange
7 - Hamlin Sweet Orange

avocado
1- Joey

Plum:
1 - Japanese Loquat

Cherry:
1 - Strawberry Tree (Muntingia calabura) qty 2.

Berries:
1 - Aronia ‘Viking’
2 - Blue Berry Jersey , need to get the name of second one
3 - Raspberries qty. 2 need to get names
4 - Strawberries Created a Crate tower from you tube. Assortments purchased at lowes. doing well in direct sunlight, water daily from 2 gallon watering can.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome! Very ambitious of you to move to a new location and plant a whole orchard all at once. Did you have previous orchard-growing experience? How much land do you have?

I am in very North GA, just across the line from Chattanooga TN, in zone 7b -- so not that far away from you, but definitely colder winter. I have just a suburban half acre lot, but I am growing two apple trees, two peach trees, two fig trees, an elderberry, two service berries (and also two hazel nut trees) along with a big variety of herbs and veggies and six hens for eggs. I only moved here from zone 6a two years ago, so my trees are new also.

It looks like you have done some home work at least -- I recognize your apples as all being low chill varieties developed for California and the SW.

Best wishes with your new endeavors. Looking forward to updates from you, how it is all working.

9aGardner

rainbowgardener wrote:Hi and welcome! Very ambitious of you to move to a new location and plant a whole orchard all at once. Did you have previous orchard-growing experience? How much land do you have?
Hi,

I have 0 experience growing anything . I have been watching a ton of Homestead videos on youtube and researching the heck out of every fruit tree I purchase as well as speaking to the locals.

youtube accounts that I have Subscribed to:
"Organics Best" Urban Gardner"
"TexasPrepper2"
"EatYourYardJax"
"Dave Wilson Nursery"

9aGardner

great site for southern apple trees with description

https://www.kuffelcreek.com/applelist.htm

JONA
Greener Thumb

I like that apple site 9a.
Great advice on warm climate tolerance.
One apple I would certainly recommend is the Granny Smith.
It loves heat...crops very heavily with good disease risistance and because it's a green apple the tree can be left more dense in the summer months to protect the fruit from sun scorch.

9aGardner

Here is a link to a planting site for zone 9a

https://www.ufseeds.com/Zone-9-Planting-Calendar.html

9aGardner

JONA wrote:I like that apple site 9a.
Great advice on warm climate tolerance.
One apple I would certainly recommend is the Granny Smith.
It loves heat...crops very heavily with good disease risistance and because it's a green apple the tree can be left more dense in the summer months to protect the fruit from sun scorch.
Granny Smith is my favorite but I do not believe it will grow in my zone. According to the Chill Hours Map I only receive 200-400 chill hours a year. What are your thoughts as the min chill hours are 400 ?

Chart:
https://www.raintreenursery.com/Chill_Hours.html

Granny Smith Requirements:
https://www.davewilson.com/product-infor ... mith-apple

JONA
Greener Thumb

Agree with you that chill hours will be a headache 9a...but I still reckon that it may be worth having a go with a Granny S. They have great success with them in South Africa were chill hours can be a problem. and they can take all the heat you can throw at them.
Balls in your court though!

9aGardner

JONA wrote:Agree with you that chill hours will be a headache 9a...but I still reckon that it may be worth having a go with a Granny S. They have great success with them in South Africa were chill hours can be a problem. and they can take all the heat you can throw at them.
Balls in your court though!
Hi John,

Thank you for your response. I am going to take your advice and try to find one of these trees local. I will let you know when I do. I just met a woman online on FB that is selling some fruit trees in my area. I am going to hook up with her when I am back and see if we can work together to establish more of what will grown in 9a. I know this is only fruit trees for now, but I might start another blog here with Vegetables and other goodies !

9aGardner

My turkey fig tree that died has resurrected ! Wow so excited it started another new branch. I am wondering should I prune the dead back now or wait till dormancy in the winter?

9aGardner

C-Shel
Newly Registered

Hi everyone, I'm C-Shel. I live in Coastal Georgia, St. Mary's to be exact. Hardiness zone 9a

I just had a question for Danny in Woodbine. How is your avocado tree doing? We have the same variety and it isn't looking too great. Wondering if it's getting too much water.

Return to “All Other Fruit”