ZayNomie
Newly Registered

Protect Fruit Trees from birds and bugs?

I would like some advice on what pesticide to use on my fruit trees. (I have cherries, apples, nectarines, peaches, and apricots.) Every year my cherries are either eaten by birds, or they have little worms in them! Are there any natural ways to get rid of the bugs?

applestar
Mod

Not sure what the worms in the cherries are, but netting is probably the best defense from bird predation. Bagging the individual fruits help some if you can't net the entire tree.

Shiny/flashy birdscares will have som effect, too -- my DD's and I make them from aluminum pans by marking big eyes on both sides with permanent markers and colorful duct tape and hang them with long strings. Hanging in such a way that they bang against metal posts and fences add another level of "scare" effect.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi ZayNomie
As far as I can find the main candidate for your worms is the Western Cherry Fruit Fly.
It is a problem all over the States. I'm afraid I can offer no suggestions about control as like a lot of these pests they are responsive to local temperatures regarding egg laying.
I can only advise consulting your local Garden Centre as to chemical control and timing.

Return to “All Other Fruit”