Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Avocado Tree Seedling

We planted a Avocado pit awhile back now..look at it today! :-()
Attachments
Avocado Tree
Avocado Tree

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful!

Now just keep taking care of it for the next ten years and maybe it will produce an avocado for you! :?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I grew an avocado tree from a seed about 30 years ago. It grew 8 feet tall during the summer. It took the plant several weeks to get accustom to full sun. Winter came and it was too large to go inside the house. The first tiny frost killed it. You need to find a place to keep it this winter before it gets cold. They sure are nice trees.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Thanks for your insight Gary! Good to know they are sensitive trees, will take care of it for sure! :-()

imafan26
Mod

Actually avocados here take about 7 to produce but will produce sooner if you graft a known cultivar onto your seedling.
Remember avocados usually are not self pollinating although Apple said she got a cultivar that did self pollinate. Most will not come true from seed. Think of it as a box of chocolates.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

That is very interesting..what do you mean by they are not self pollinating? Does that mean they need bees or something else to pollinate it?

Thanks!

:-()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, it means you need pollen from another avocado tree, one avocado tree can't (usually) produce fruit by itself.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Ah okay! That is great to know, Thank you! :D

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

CountryLady - Your seedling is lovely. Growing an avocado from the pit really is fun. They make a great conversation plant.

Don' get your hopes up on ever having it grow to maturity and bear fruit. First - if it is a hybrid any fruit produced would not be true to the parent - mostly inferior if it produces at all. Second -avocados are a topical fruit tree. Even a light freeze will kill a young plant. A hard freeze will kill a mature tree. It takes many years for an avocado to reach maturity and produce fruit. As stated most need cross pollination.

If you were to grow a pair of avocados in a green house you would need a house 30' tall. For many years G's Mother lived in McCallen, Tx. On the border with Mexico. She had wonderful avocadoes. It NEVER froze in south Texas. UNTIL one year - the temperatures dropped into the low 20's for over 48 hours. She lost every one of her avocado trees!

Sorry for the doom and gloom. Your plant can probably be potted up to a gallon container. Keep it out side in the sun. Bring it in before the first frost. Put it in a very bright window away from drafts. It will grow quickly and will soon out grow your home. They really do make a lovely plant so start a new one each year. That way you always have a replacement for the one that gets too big.

Enjoy your plant.

applestar
Mod

I posted latest photos of my seed grown avocados here :arrow: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 42#p334242

I can't tell you how old the oldest ones are because. I don't remember, but #1 and #2 pictured in the linked post and the one following it are finally showing branch structures that may indicate they are ready to bloom.

But if you read the earlier posts in that thread which I initially started to describe my purchased grafted avocado, you'll see that getting them to bloom is only the first part of the process. :roll: But I'm still enjoying growing them, and maybe eventually I will have fruiting avocado trees.

Countryladiesgardens
Green Thumb

Applestar: Very cool photos of your trees! They look awesome :-()

Return to “All Other Fruit”