IrisPrincess

New to strawberries...

I'm new to strawberries, I just started last year. I planted four pre-started strawberry plants last year, and they were doing well living, but not really producing anything. So they came up again this spring, and are still fairly tiny. They make little teeny strawberries (even smaller than last year) but they keep disappearing before they are ready! I'm not sure if it's birds or bugs, does anyone have any protection ideas? I was thinking netting, but that wouldn't help much with bugs...

I also don't know exactly how much water they like...I've been giving moderate amounts, they don't look too dry or too yellow.

Is there an answer for why the plants, and strawberries are so teeny?(plants are about 8 inches around, and the berries about the size of a dime or a nickle)

Thanks so much :D

pixelphoto

I would make sure you have plenty of good compost around them to make sure they are getting the nutrients they need. I don't know what kind of soil or fertilizer or compost you are using so its hard to say.
Water deeply I like a soaker hose as I don't like to spray water them. The berries are liked by all sorts of birds so netting or cageing is important to keep them out of the strawberry beds. Floating row covers work well. Open them up routinely to air out and check on the berries.
Make sure you cover around them with a good mulch too. it sounds like they are really small and need plenty to eat so compost mulch and water.

IrisPrincess

Thanks so much!

IrisPrincess

So an soaker hose would water them without getting their leaves wet? Or does it do something more?

pixelphoto

yes the soaker hose puts the water right at their roots so you aren't wasting water and it keeps water from getting all over the plant causing possible fungal problems wilt or mold problems.

IrisPrincess

great! thanks again soooo much!!!

Return to “All Other Fruit”