Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Are these Blackberries or Black Raspberries?

The plants I have always though were Blackberries, I think they are Black Raspberries.

When I bought the TN house there was a patch of blackberries in the back yard like I have never seen before. Berries are the diameter of a quarter and 90% juice instead of 10% juice like wild berries. They taste like the best black berries I ever had.

For 33 years I made jelly, cobbler and wine with these berries. Wow they are good. Berries are so large 1 berry is = to about 10 wild berries. I had close up photos of berries on my computer for years but at the moment I can not find them. I have always wondered if maybe they are some type of hybrid berries, they have hybrid thorns too.

The plants and the leaves look identical to blackberries to me. They have rhizome roots just like blackberries and send up new plants in all directions of the mother plant every spring. New canes make berries the second year just like blackberries do.

After doing some research online I am pretty sure these are Cumberland Black Raspberry plants..............not blackberries.

Are these Blackberries or Black Raspberries?????????????

JONA878
Greener Thumb

One sure way to tell the difference between the two fruits is the fruit itself.
Once ripe the raspberry will come cleanly off the bush leaving its internal ' plug ' behind. The fruit will contain no internal structure other than the fruitlet berries.
Blackberries pick with a small internal plug still in the fruit with the fruitlets attatched to it.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

JONA878 wrote:One sure way to tell the difference between the two fruits is the fruit itself.
Once ripe the raspberry will come cleanly off the bush leaving its internal ' plug ' behind. The fruit will contain no internal structure other than the fruitlet berries.
Blackberries pick with a small internal plug still in the fruit with the fruitlets attatched to it.

I think you have found the answer. These berries pick clean with no cap that has to be removed later. Fully ripe berries come right off the vine leaving the cap & plug on the vine. With plug removed there is a tiny hole in the end of the berry.

Wild Blackberries have a cap just like a Strawberry after you wash the berries the caps need to be removed.

Return to “All Other Fruit”