Strawberrylover101
Newly Registered

WHAT IS EATING MY STRAWBERRIES!?!?

:cry: I am a young planter and I have my own little strawberry garden.(I'm growing them in pots)I am producing alot of strawberries and I am always excited but then I go look and theres sometimes parts eaten off my strawberries. What is eating them??Is it bugs or what?I have netting over them and everything and there are still someparts eaten off and it makes me mad.Just today I only got 2 good harvest ones because of it.And there was like 15 of them already ripe but 13 of them had been eaten by something that I have no clue what's eating them!But I have noticed there are sometimes black little things on them they are not worms they kinda look like little bugs but I don't dare to touch them because I don't like bugs.I have netting too.What could possibly be eating them?!?!I once saw a slug in one of the pots I got it out but I havne't seen any since.Please help,is there anything I can do?Bug spray or different netting?Please help!:( But now good news,I have a frog now in their eating the bugs.Problem solved for now...

UPDATE:
I went at night to look for any slugs and I found this black bug crawling around.I have done some research earlier and it was called Strawberry seed eating beatle I think?I'm not sure.But it totally grossed me out and made me mad.Now what can I do?I didn't see any slugs or snails but this bug!Oh no,what can I do now? :(
[img]https://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h376/PinkPuppy-/2012-06-2422_28_54.jpg[/img] That is what it looks like.
Last edited by Strawberrylover101 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 13 times in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Slugs most likely.

1. You can go out after dark with a flash light and find them.
2. Lay down some boards along your strawberries and check for hiding slugs under them.
3. Broadcast some Sluggo around your strawberries. Sluggo is mostly safe and adds iron to the soil.

Eric

Strawberrylover101
Newly Registered

:D Thank You!I will see if I can catch them in the act. ;) I will also take more responses.
Last edited by Strawberrylover101 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Strawberrylover101 wrote::D Thank You!I will see if I can catch them in the act. ;) I will also take more responses.
One of the Mods will most likely ask you politely to remove the picture from your signature. :wink:

Eric

Sheldrake Penny
Newly Registered

Diatomite earth can be placed around strawberries, also ground egg shells. Both work to cut the slug bellies

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I have the same problem, and when I do see some bug inside of the strawberry, it is always a pill bug. Also my radishes this year have holes right on top, where they stick out from the ground. I never caught any bug in there, so not sure, if it is also pill bugs or something else.

Return to “All Other Fruit”