openrebellion
Newly Registered

Strawberry leaves turning brown and dried up fruit

I have a strawberry plant. I was told giving it bone meal will help during flowering. After I gave it some of the bone meal I noticed a change. The leaves are turning brown from the outside in and the fruit looks dried up. I am wondering if I gave them to much nutrient and burnt them or if something else has happened.

If you have had experience like this I would like to hear about it, thanks.
Last edited by openrebellion on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It won't let me look at the photos unless I join and log in to tomatoville which I'm not willing to do. Can you post them somewhere like photobucket that doesn't require that?

How much bone meal did you use? You said A strawberry plant. If you really mean just one, it should have been a very small amount.

openrebellion
Newly Registered

Sorry, I should have checked the link. This is a picture of the plant:

[img]https://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r556/picfortat/straw.jpg[/img]

Yes, it's one plant. I gave it two doses of about a tablespoon each time. I got excited when I was told it would help with flowering...

Any suggestions on how to help the plant or perfect strawberry fertilizers? I am thinking of building a bigger box for it, so I can give it a fresh soil/manure mix.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Take it out of that soil asap. Wash off all the soil from the roots. You need to SPRINKLE it on the soil not put two tablespoons. Replant it in a 25% compost 75% potting soil mix and give it some fish emulsion. Fish emulsion is like the gardening bible. It is amazing and cheap!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

It also looks like it is getting too much sun and getting burned. Move it to a a spot to get some shade. It is my 1st year growing them too and an experienced grower told me temps above 80 start to bother strawberries. I had a similar issue as you are having and I moved them to a spot with some shade and they are doing a whole lot better. Clip off all that burned/dried stuff too.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I live in southern california where in the summer temps are well above 80 most of the us's berries come from here. I have always gron them in these conditions with no ill effects.

openrebellion
Newly Registered

I've changed the soil and made it a bigger box. I live in Northern California with summer temps ranging from 90-100+. I was a little worried about the hot weather. Another strawberry plant I have have has beautiful green leaves. I will move this plant because it gets about 2 hrs more of sun. The local farmers are able to successfully grow strawberries in this area, so some strawberries can handle, maybe a certain variety. It's one thing I love about summer: local strawberries and cherries.

I will post pictures if it starts to look better for others to learn from. [/I]

Return to “All Other Fruit”