Gustav
Cool Member

Where should I cut the branch when making fruit tree cutting

I got some branches from an apple tree, peach, plum & pear tree & want to make cuttings & grow them.

What I want to know is where I should cut the branches & how long they need to be?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

This is how I've seen many folks do fig tree cuttings where I live. They find some relatively new growth with soft bark, cut a slit on an angle about halfway through the branch. Take some rooting hormone and apply to the slit. Now take a piece of plastic like a grocery store bag and tie it off fairly tight several inches below the slit and use the bag like a pot and put about 1 qt. worth of potting soil around the area of the slit and wrap the plastic bag around that and tie it off above the slit.

When done, it should look like a fat bandage around the area of the cut. Cut a few small slits in the bag to allow for drainage and watering. Keep it moist and in a few weeks you should have a root ball forming in the bagged area.

When ready to transplant, cut the branch below the root ball, remove the plastic bag and put in an appropriate pot or in the ground.

I should have mentioned, they do this to live trees and take cuttings with the root ball directly from the tree.
Last edited by gumbo2176 on Fri May 04, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Gustav.

To take hardwood cuttings you need wood that is around the thickness of a pencil.
The cuttings need to be in their dormant state so should be taken from October to March.
Each cutting should be 6 - 15 inches long.
Insert into well drained soil or compost in a sheltered site to a depth of around half their length.
Firm planting is vital and re-firming may be needed after frosts..which can cause lift.
It will take at least a year to root up.

All that said...all fruit trees are normaly grown by grafting cuttings ' scions ' to a rootstock.
It's quicker and you are not left to guess how big the tree will finish up.

Good luck.

Gustav
Cool Member

Is there a specific area where it should be cut like under the last leaf or something or doesn't it matter where it is cut?

They are about as thick as my thumb, but get's thinner as it goes to the top.
Fall is about over here in South-Africa & Winter is on it's way fast! Is it ok if I do it now? If not, what will happen?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

It is best cut so that you keep the end ( terminal ) bud so that only the base end of the cutting has been actualy cut. If you cut the top as well you would have to seal it with some form of paint as this would leave the plant liable to dry out before it had a chance to root.

You can take cuttings any time once the leaves have all fallen so you can go ahead anytime now.

Gustav
Cool Member

I don't have any sealant paint, but I do have red cheese wax from my cheesemaking, can I use that to seal it?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Wax sealer would do fine Gustav. Anything that keeps the cutting from drying out.

Gustav
Cool Member

I got some of the right sealant & used it today.

I made some cuttings, 3-4 of each of the following:

* Apple tree
* Peach tree
* Apricot tree
* Plum / prune tree
* Pomegranate tree
* Fig tree
* Pear tree

I will post the pics tomorrow or so to get any suggestions if any.

Return to “All Other Fruit”