SPierce
Greener Thumb

Strawberry Plants from a nursery?

So, much to my surprise :shock: this morning I got the package that I ordered from GUrney's with my seed potatoes, and (I thought) a packet of strawberry SEEDS! I opened the box and... there's a packet of strawberry PLANTS, roots and all, inside a bag in the box.

Since the care package that came with them doesn't say specifically- do these plants need to be hardened off before planted out, or should I just plant them in the ground? Should I wait until warmer temps- we're in the mid 40's to mid-50;s over the next week or so.

Thanks! :D

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

if it's easy enough to dig, I'd get them in the ground. they shouldn't need to be hardened off unless there's significant leaf growth already. if it's just crown with roots, plant 'em.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've planted many bare rooted plants from Gurney's with great success. Don't place the crown too deeply in the soil. Water and stand back! Some say pinch the first season's blooms, but I always let them make berries. The plants are always vigorous the second year and produce a full crop, so I can't see any reason to waster that first taste of fruit during season one.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

Thank you both :D I as worried, as I thought I should maybe wait a week before planting? However, if they can take the colder weather I'll be putting them in tomorrow afternoon.

When I first got them, they were nothing more than seedlings, but since I got them the last few days they have started to grow a few leaves/crowns. They're still safe in the bag they came in.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I always store my plants in the crisper in the refrigerator until am ready to plant them. I've kept them over a month that way before. The cool refrigerator keeps the plant asleep until ready for planting.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

hendi_alex wrote:I always store my plants in the crisper in the refrigerator until am ready to plant them. I've kept them over a month that way before. The cool refrigerator keeps the plant asleep until ready for planting.
Oh wow, that's exactly what I'm going to do! My roommates having work done to the bed I want to plant them in, and was worried about how long they were going to keep. Thank you!

Return to “All Other Fruit”