dansgarden
Newly Registered

Strawberry Diseases

Hi everyone. After my Strawberry plants are done producing, the leaves turn brown and spotted every year with a red covering around the stem, does anyone know what this is? Whats best to kill the disease? The plants are always fine it seems when they are producing, but after the berries are done, they turn brown, is this normal? I really need some insight to control this problem. Thanks

Dan

Moley
Cool Member

can you post some pictures?

applestar
Mod

I have always heard that you should renew the strawberry plants and move the bed after several years. How long have you had your strawberries? This would have a bearing on the solution.

I think my 2-3 yr old June bearing strawberries also get some spots and look tattered in the summer after production is finished. Some strawberry cultivation guides recommend mowing the foliage down after production and removing all leaves, then fertilize and allow new leaves to grow, though I've never attempted such a drastic step. I just try to keep them alive during the summer drought, and give them compost in fall and in spring,... Sometimes in the summer if drought is really getting to them and weakening them.

It's also recommended that you root the runners in containers and use them to start a new bed every few years.

I have to admit, though, that I haven't done any of that. :oops: I let them runner randomely and migrate what I call my "strawberry bed" :roll: :wink:

When excessive humidity causes grey mold, I spray them with Milk Solution and if I have the energy to make the extra effort, brew up AACT (Aerated CompostbTea -- details in sticky thread at top of the Compost Forum) for foliar spray and/or soil drench.

dansgarden
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:I have always heard that you should renew the strawberry plants and move the bed after several years. How long have you had your strawberries? This would have a bearing on the solution.

I think my 2-3 yr old June bearing strawberries also get some spots and look tattered in the summer after production is finished. Some strawberry cultivation guides recommend mowing the foliage down after production and removing all leaves, then fertilize and allow new leaves to grow, though I've never attempted such a drastic step. I just try to keep them alive during the summer drought, and give them compost in fall and in spring,... Sometimes in the summer if drought is really getting to them and weakening them.

It's also recommended that you root the runners in containers and use them to start a new bed every few years.

I have to admit, though, that I haven't done any of that. :oops: I let them runner randomely and migrate what I call my "strawberry bed" :roll: :wink:

When excessive humidity causes grey mold, I spray them with Milk Solution and if I have the energy to make the extra effort, brew up AACT (Aerated CompostbTea -- details in sticky thread at top of the Compost Forum) for foliar spray and/or soil drench.

Thanks for the info. From what I was told Strawberry leaves turn redish, brown after producing. Local growers say this occurs usually in July, its not a disease apparently. I still am spraying my plants to make sure diseases don't take over. Once again, I'm glad you responded, glad it's just not my plants.

JONA878
Greener Thumb

As you have discovered Straw leaves do discolour after they have cropped and will in due course shed those leaves and replace with new young ones in late autumn or early winter.
However as Star has said growers do usualy mow off those old leaves to allow the new growth good light, and take stress off the plants.
It also removes any old desease spores ( Mildew etc ) that may be hanging around the old leaf.
As to life length.
Strawberries suffer from an attraction to several viruses.
So it pays every five years or so to completely replace the bed with fresh runners from a virus free nursery.
All the top quality nurseries will carry virus free tested crowns.
Also to move the bed to a new site if possable.
I know many folk keep their beds for many more years than that but they may suffer from reduced crops or poorer quality berries as a result.

dansgarden
Newly Registered

JONA878 wrote:As you have discovered Straw leaves do discolour after they have cropped and will in due course shed those leaves and replace with new young ones in late autumn or early winter.
However as Star has said growers do usualy mow off those old leaves to allow the new growth good light, and take stress off the plants.
It also removes any old desease spores ( Mildew etc ) that may be hanging around the old leaf.
As to life length.
Strawberries suffer from an attraction to several viruses.
So it pays every five years or so to completely replace the bed with fresh runners from a virus free nursery.
All the top quality nurseries will carry virus free tested crowns.
Also to move the bed to a new site if possable.
I know many folk keep their beds for many more years than that but they may suffer from reduced crops or poorer quality berries as a result.
Thanks for the info. I will be heading out to clip off the brown leaves. I appreciate all the help.

Return to “All Other Fruit”