gardeningteen
Newly Registered

Raspberry Help!!

Ok, I'm making a gardening area for my veggies and fruits, and my future veggies and fruits...I need to know how much room a raspberry (black or red) plant will take up. Any help will be appreciated!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi GT.
Raspberries are grown on what are called canes.
Usually they are planted in rows and the single stem (cane) that you plant will over the years develope into a little cluster of canes...as each year the old cropping canes are cut down and new growth appears from the roots.
There are two sorts of canes.
The first is called a primo-cane or autumn raspberry.The canes from
this grow and crop the same year and give a steady crop over the summer until the first frosts.
At the end of the year you cut down the old cane and the following year the new cane grows.
As there is no standing cane in the winter months this one needs less support wires in place.

The other sort is the traditional raspberry. This one crops on two year old canes and needs support for the over wintering growth. So you let it grow for a year, then tie in these canes to some form of support. After they have cropped you cut this old cane out and leave the new cane that has grown for the following year.

It crops in one big flush...but does in general crop heavier than the primo-cane types.

You can grow either types in a very small area if you wish.....even in a large container is possable.
Usually in a garden they are planted in a row...perhaps ten or so canes .
They will try and spread over the garden if allowed so you have to keep a check on the root-spread as they get older.

Hope that helps . Good luck.
:?

jnmoore
Newly Registered

I don't have much to add to that, but if you're going to have more than one plant (I would recommend more than one variety as well to increase raspberry quality and quantity), use two posts and string metal wires between them. This will provide long lasting support. All you have to do is weave them between the wires and they're good to go!

Hope this helps!

mmmfloorpie

jnmoore wrote:I don't have much to add to that, but if you're going to have more than one plant (I would recommend more than one variety as well to increase raspberry quality and quantity), use two posts and string metal wires between them. This will provide long lasting support. All you have to do is weave them between the wires and they're good to go!

Hope this helps!
I have a couple questions too.

I've read people here say that rasps should be grown in rows. I currently have a 10x6 boxed bed that has a big patch of rasps in it. It's kind of just taken over and does whatever it wants. I had an old compost pile in it at one time, but the rasps have totally taken it over and love growing it.

Is it ok just to let them grow like this? I find the second I try to dig them up and transplant them, they die within a few days. They also don't like it when I hoe around them or mess around with the roots in any way. This is why I've decided to just give up.

The giving up strategy has really worked so far, in the past 2 years I've gotten a peach basket full of raspberries. I'd think to know if this has a theoretical backing though as to what rasps like/etc.

I'm going to try to get a good fertilizer that's high in Potash (from what I've read). Any other tips?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

If they are doing fine leave them in the box, just be sure to take the old canes out within a couple weeks of the time you finish havesting the new crop. Raspberries are a bit invasive and the box will contain them down the line. People say rows because they are a little easier to pick and tie up off the ground. I know people who do both what you are doing and rows. Rows are preferred by those who want to till or plow between the rows to keep them in check (from spreading). As for moving them you can only do that successfully in the very late winter or very early spring while they are still dormant. If you move them in the fall and the ground is too wet you risk root rot. After they come out of dormancy they really resent being moved. So, it may be when you tried to move them.

Return to “All Other Fruit”