gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Blackberry canes are really taking off.

The four thornless blackberry plants I planted back in early February are really taking off. I now have several canes that are near the top of my 8 ft. trellis I built for them and they are sending off side canes that are filling out the space very densely. If they continue at this pace, I should have a bumper crop of berries next summer.

I can't wait because they are one of my favorite summer fruits and picking them in the wild is sometimes more hassle than it is worth. Last year we had little rain and it took its toll on berry production on the wild plants and this year has been even dryer. At least I can control their watering with the plants growing in my yard.

soil
Greener Thumb

I planted thornless blackberries a few years ago. the first year they were in the ground they blew up like yours. some canes ending up around 15ft long. the next year we had a great harvest of huge berries.

also any extra canes that you don't need. you can stuff the tip into a pot with soil and it will root. cut that off and you have a new plant.

any more extras make good goat feed.

Return to “All Other Fruit”