sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

raspberry plants dying

I got some this spring, bare root. planted them per directions etc. my neihgbor also got some, we ordered together. she still has all of hers. mine, half have died. At first I thought maybe it was too wet because I was watering twice a week. so I laid off. they still died. it has been a very hot and humid and barely any rain. they start browning at the edges then start shriveling up and dying. :( I'm super bummed. rasp are my fave fruit and they're dying on me. now what?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:I got some this spring, bare root. planted them per directions etc. my neihgbor also got some, we ordered together. she still has all of hers. mine, half have died. At first I thought maybe it was too wet because I was watering twice a week. so I laid off. they still died. it has been a very hot and humid and barely any rain. they start browning at the edges then start shriveling up and dying. :( I'm super bummed. rasp are my fave fruit and they're dying on me. now what?
So Sorry Sheeshshe
It could be caused by several things.
On the whole rasps are pretty tough but they do have some quirks...especially when they are newly planted.
They do need plenty of water...but at the same time waterlog the roots and they keel over.
There are a few virus and fungal soil born problems that can attack them but new plants in a fresh area would be very unlucky to be affected.

You say that you planted them this march.
It's far better if you can Autumn plant them. Nov/Dec is ideal.
The later into spring the planting the less reliable the establishment.
In fact over here the best nurseries will not take responability for canes planted after the 15th March because of establishment problems.

All that said...keep them watered so that the soil is not allowed to dry out....and hope that the bulk of them pull through and fill the gaps with fresh canes by the end of the year.

Good luck.

microcollie
Green Thumb

When we had a similar summer many years ago, I watched, as I watching now, all of the blackberries and wild roses (all the same family) on my property slowly lose all their leaves to the heat. (OK I admit I watched with glee) But the following spring, they all came back. I don't have experience with raspberries, but even if they don't show signs of recovery by fall, I would leave them in the ground and see what happens next year.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

They actually went in the beginning of May. I ordered from Nourse and they only spring ship.

I was on another garden site and they suspected that they were too wet and that is why they were dying. but I was only watering one or twice per week and it was HOT. I suspect they're frying out there. and I waited for a week without watering and now more are frying. I'm down to not too many now :( the ones that seemed to get established early on are now thriving, just one of them is really thriving a lot, its getting tall. all the other ones are staying small. and some are dying. :(

I'm going to try and keep it wet again.

I really want to order more in the spring, different varieties... but I don't want to lose half of them again :(

Return to “All Other Fruit”