Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Blueberry leaves are turning red...

Okey, I know it is nutrient deficiency(either too high PH or lack of iron), can you give me tips in terms of fertilizer?

They are potted, because I am not allowed to put woody stuff in the dirt in the community garden, I didn't change their soil since two years ago, when I potted them, but I do add organic fertilizer for acid loving plants from Doctor Earth. I guess that is not enough. Should I change the soil, and if yes, what ingredients should I use for it? I garden organically, so no chemical fertilizers.

applestar
Mod

In my experience, the leaves turn red when they're stressed. Are you watering enough? well drained sandy potting soil? not root bound?

Are they sitting on the ground or on a hard surface? Keeping containers directly on the ground keeps the roots cooler with a slight moisture buffer than keeping them on a hard surface with reflected heat.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I don't think they are rootbound -actually the one with more red leaves grows in the bigger pot. It does sit on the bricks, so I will put it on the dirt.
I will try to repot it though to change the soil. Not sure about watering - I water them every 2-3 days or so as I water my garden. But it is not very hot here yet (65). Maybe I should buy special potting soil for acid loving plants and replant in it.

ronbre
Cool Member

try some miracid

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I prefer not to use chemicals in my garden. I'll see how they will do-I replanted them in fresh soil with tons of peat moss and some organic acid fertilizer, and some worm castings, rock dust and even a bit of biochar :roll:

soil
Greener Thumb

buy some quality wormcastings. and quality is the key word.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Why, do some worms produce lousy castings? :shock:

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

Update-I replanted them and put them on the dirt, and they are growing, but still making pink pale leaves. :(

applestar
Mod

Did we cover what KIND of blueberries you have? My experience is limited to Northern hardy blueberries of lowbush and highbush varieties. Lowbush is more drought tolerant and prefers very well drained soil, but highbush needs more steady moisture.

I've the feeling, though, that you probably have the southern variety.... Oh! One possible issue -- I seem to recollect that the southern varieties grow larger than the northern varieties, so container size and suitability to container gardening might come into play?

Return to “All Other Fruit”