roosky

Question on raspberry care

Hi,

Last summer I planted some new raspberry canes, Glen Prosen, which are termed "mid season" - first problem, as everything talks about early and late fruiting !
They produced leaves, as expected, but no fruit, as expected. Now this year, the canes are producing buds, but there is also lots of growth from ground level, where new shoots are springing up like mad !! I've removed some of the smaller ones, leaving healthy ones which at the moment are about 6" tall.
What do I do next ? Do I get rid of all the new growth on the ground, or do I train them against wires, or what ??
Incidentally, I live in the far north of Scotland, where it is snowing as I speak ! (No, not normal for this time of year. What global warming, I ask?)

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Rooksie

Guess you live in the right area for rasp growing then...most of the breeding goes on up there for new varieties.

Glen Prosen is regarded as mid-season so should be in full crop around the middle of july up there in the Highlands.

The crop will come on last years canes. These need tying to a wire support stretch between a couple of posts.
The new cane ( spore) is next years cropping cane.
This should be thinned out to about one cane every six inches or so.
You may find that this new cane will need some support later in the year as it can grow pretty tall.
Once the old canes have finished fruiting you can cut them down to ground level and tie in the new cane for next years fruit.

Jona

roosky

Thanks very much for that, Jona - now I know exactly what to do . Let's hope I get lots of fruit !

Return to “All Other Fruit”