Allen
Newly Registered

first raspberry bush

ok so I just planted my first raspberry bush and am wondering about what is the best fertilizer it is a summer raspberry bush so from what I have read on the container I should get some berries in julyso my second question is when do I trim it down and how far down do I trim it I do plan on getting 2-3 more raspberry bushes this week

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Alllen.
Your rasp will crop on the cane that it has produced from last year.
The new cane that grows this year is the cane that you will get next years crop on, so this is the cane that you need to treat carefully and tie in to some form of support as it grows higher.
The best way is to run a couple of posts into the ground and put a wire between them at around waist high.
The cane that carries this years fruit can be cut down to nearly ground level as soon as it has finished fruiting.
Many people leave it until the autumn , but all this does it take energy away from the new spawn that is growing from the plants root system.

Autumn fruiting raspberries...( known as Prim-cane varieties ) crop on one year old canes and are cut completely down to ground level every year.

Jona

Return to “All Other Fruit”