cripps72
Newly Registered

Yes the soil is rather heavy, as far as the sun it hits them heavy in the morning but by 11a.m. or so they start getting half shade. Yes I did just water them a short time before the pic. was taken. In the morning from 7 to 9 or so a.m. they are all standing upright and look great but by 10 they start looking wilted so we water them, pretty heavy soaking, then they usually perk back up a little bit by 3 or 4. We then hit with water again around 6-7p.m. They have only been planted there since last Sunday. What should we do not do or add anything?

Gardener Guy
Newly Registered

I have three Heritage bushes in my 6 by 8 raised garden bed. They are now in a line, but it looks more like 1 large, long shrub, instead of three. I hacked it down to about 18 inches this spring. They have grown to about three feet already. I was thinking of putting in four metal stakes, and "sandwiching" the bushes between wire, perhaps two wires at three and again at four or five feet. Is that a good idea? I can try something new next year, but I don't want to thin them out this year or do anything drastic, since this is the second year and we would like the two batches of fruit. Any help or advice?

reeve1
Newly Registered

Keep in mind that most Blueberry Bushes require at least one other bush, usually of another cultivar, to properly cross-pollinate in order to produce any significant number of berries. A few varieties, such as Tifblue, are considered self-fertile in that they do not require another bush to pollinate with.

I've posted some information I found online that helps explain basic Blueberry care.

Advantages
1. Plants that do not cross-pollinate can produce a few berries each growing season. But once two different varieties of blueberry bushes pollinate each other, the amount of fruit they produce jumps dramatically. Cross-pollinated bushes produce between 12 to 24 pounds of fruit per plant.
Description
2. Every blueberry bush features both male and female organs on the same plant. But the plants do not pollinate themselves very easily. Instead, the plants cross-pollinate with other bushes that grow within 100 feet of each other.
Timing
3. Blueberry bushes fall into varieties that produce mature fruit in either early, mid or late-summer. To harvest fruit all summer long, some gardeners plant all three varieties. Pollination takes place between the plants no matter when the flowers bloom or the fruit matures.

I hope this helps.

Alicemae

Even tho I came here to find info on raspberries, I must thank you reeve1 for the info on blueberries! They're my 'mission' for this year's garden addition! Somewhere else in this forum I found that rabbits will make a meal out of blueberry plants (which I was blaming the deer for) so I'll be armed and ready this summer!

Runningtrails

Such good ideas here! I have raspberries that just started to send out runners last year. I think I will start a raspberry bed in another location and put them there. I also have good blackberries that have gone wild and grow into the woods. I think I will dig those up soon and move them to the "berry" bed. I have sort of ignored all the berries last year but this year I'm going to pay more attention to organizing them!

I want to make raspberry and blackberry wine :-)

Alicemae

Runningtrails wrote:Such good ideas here! I have raspberries that just started to send out runners last year. I think I will start a raspberry bed in another location and put them there. I also have good blackberries that have gone wild and grow into the woods. I think I will dig those up soon and move them to the "berry" bed. I have sort of ignored all the berries last year but this year I'm going to pay more attention to organizing them!

I want to make raspberry and blackberry wine :-)
Oh cool - you know how to make raspberry wine? I would love that! Would you share your recipe? So often I haul my garden cart out into the woods looking for new stuff and I've yet to come across any berries or mushrooms. I do, however, find lots of animal evidence indicating that there would be NO berries left for me to find !! LOL !

Judy
Newly Registered

I planted raspberry bushes last year. This year they are coming up and were looking great, then all of a sudden the leaves on one plant started turning brown and shriveling up. Every day it becomes worse. Now I notice leaves on another plant has started the same thing. What could it be?

Judy
Newly Registered

I planted raspberry bushes last year. This year they are coming up and were looking great, then all of a sudden the leaves on one plant started turning brown and shriveling up. Every day it becomes worse. Now I notice leaves on another plant has started the same thing. What could it be?

Alicemae

Judy wrote:I planted raspberry bushes last year. This year they are coming up and were looking great, then all of a sudden the leaves on one plant started turning brown and shriveling up. Every day it becomes worse. Now I notice leaves on another plant has started the same thing. What could it be?
I surely don't have all the answers but when I 'transplanted' some of my baby runners (off of the mother plants) I don't think I got enough of the roots and all of the leaves turned brown and shriveled also. Only a few of them died so I'm thinking it was a lack of root system that did it. Doubt if it was a bug or disease problem because all of them would have been affected. (at least for mine)

Did you start with new plants or transplants? And maybe you planted them too deep. ?? Don't give up - they're so worth the work!

cherryhead
Newly Registered

I keep planting raspberries on my allotment but they never seem to grow, is this because I'm not pruning them correctly or is it something else, like the soil or something..?

Return to “All Other Fruit”