petalfuzz
Green Thumb

no new raspberry canes?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and can't seem to find the answer:

I bought 4 raspberry plants this spring and they were planted in late April. Now it is late june and the little twigs (about 6" tall) have new leaf growth. But there haven't been any new canes sent up from any of the roots!! When exactly can I expect this to happen? The plants must still be alive because of the green leaves, but nothing else is happening.

Do I just need to be more patient or did I get dud plants?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

with luck, they're putting more energy into establishing roots this first year. I'd just wait.

applestar
Mod

!potatoes! is probably right. Also, do you know what kind they are? Summer bearing, Ever bearing, Fall bearing? You'll need to know that to prune them properly.

GardenerGirl

I'm trying to remember how my raspberries behaved the first year. Mine were a little larger to start with, I think, more like 12-18 inches, but were definitely bare cane. I think they had a similar growth pattern to what you're describing: they started by just leafing out and building roots. Then, in the fall, they all started to flop over and put down runners, and I got a second set of canes then. The following year, they did new canes in the spring and fall.

I'm on year 3 now, and probably looking at my first good harvest this year. As long as you've got growth on the canes, I wouldn't worry. In 4 years, you'll probably be desperately worrying about how to contain them. ;)

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Thanks for the replies! In everything I read and researched, it all gave the impression you'd get new canes the minute they were in the ground. Oh well! I'll just be patient :)

I got four types: yellow everbearing (fall gold), red everbearing, black standard (jewel) and red standard.

Diane
Green Thumb

My raspberries were just sticks the first year. I think I planted in the fall. The second year I got large canes. When these canes were two years old I got tons of raspberries.
They fruit on two year old canes. I cut the tops off as soon as the canes are 4-5 feet tall. This encourages branching.
Before I knew what to do I left those 2 year old canes, just cuting off the tips where the berries were.
The third year they produced even more berries.
I've read you're supposed to pull the 2 year old canes. I might this year because things are getting crowded. lol
I do cut at the ground any woody canes after the fruiting is done.
Good luck. You are going to have so many berries in a few years.

Return to “All Other Fruit”