lemonhead
Newly Registered

Frozen lemon tree; no fruit

I live in Central California, and it looks like the cold weather froze my lemon tree, I don't know the exact name of the tree.

It doesn't flower or grow fruit anymore, and it is about 3-4 years old. ( not too certain)

Is there any way to save it?

I have been researching and it seems that grafting it might help, but I don't have any other lemon tree to graft it with.

Or, is the alternative to chop it down for it bears no fruit; and hopefully a new fruit bearing tree will grow?

thanks

SG6

Need a few dates to this.
It reads that the lemon got cold, presumably this winter, and there is no fruit/blossom now. Now being mid Jan, say 2 months after it got cold. :?:

If it got cold it will take a little time to recover, grow new leaves, produce flowers then eventually produce fruit.

How big is it? If the plant is just a few years old will it be mature enough to produce fruit yet?

Lemons are not tropical in the way a lime is, they tend to need a cold dormant period. They come from "warm" parts of the world but grow at altitude so are usually capable of surviving cold temperatures.

Out of interest what was "cold".

If the plant is producing leaves and growth then I suspect that there is nothing wrong. If the lemon is not on a dwarfing rootstock which often makes them bear fruit earlier in their life then I suspect that the plant simply need to mature.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Whenever we have a hard freeze here in northern California, all the gardening writers in the newspapers say to Wait Until Spring (they really mean April/May) to make any decisions if your plants appear to have been frozen.

So Wait Until April/May to decide whether the lemon tree has been killed back so far that it cannot recover. Can you post a picture for us to look at it in its current condition so that we can see what's worrying you?

Good luck.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “All Other Fruit”