purduevet
Newly Registered

Am I too late for my strawberries?

Hi, I planted some June-bearing strawberries late spring this year. They produced some fruit, lots of runners, and the plants went nuts in July. I think the info that came with them from the nursery said to mow them down in the fall, and then cover for winter with a straw mulch. I started to look online to verify exactly what I was supposed to do with them (because I can't find the info that came with them...), and find that most people recommend mowing the plants within a few weeks of the harvest, and then mulching once it's cold. Am I too late to cut them back? There are lots of runners that are established, as well as the original plants that are going like gangbusters. Since I only planted them in late April, do I just let them go this winter without mowing/cutting them down, mulch them when it's cold, then next year mow them down right after harvest? Your help is appreciated!

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I'm not sure, exactly! I would guess that you would still be able to cut them back this year and cover with mulch. Often people complain that if they let them go and try and cut them back in the spring, you have to be very careful because of early new growth or the winter has toughened the leaves such that cutting back is a real chore. Good luck with them, though!!

Return to “All Other Fruit”