josh1812@live.com

Jappanese cherry blosom

Are these easy to grow?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Please look under the Fruit Growing forum. The famous Japanese cherry-blossom festivals take place when the fruit trees are in bloom.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Japanese cherry trees are not fruiting plants, but Cynthia is correct in lumping them with the fruiting cherries; they are the same genus and share many of the same issues. While ornamental cherries are not easy to start they can be challenging to keep healthy in areas where fungal diseases can be problematic. Florida is likely less prone to such issues, but it is also warmish and Prunus serrulata the true Japanese cherry is listed in Dirr as "Zone 5 to 6, and south depending on the clone" so it may well be impossible unless you find a specific clone that works. I might steer you to Taiwan cherry (P. campanulata), also used in Japanese gardens, very refined, and tolerant of Zone 9 temps. Dirr says "the flowers may be the most handsome of all ornamental cherries." High praise from the high priest of woody ornamentals...

HG

yama

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Japanese cherry trees are not fruiting plants, but Cynthia is correct in lumping them with the fruiting cherries; they are the same genus and share many of the same issues. While ornamental cherries are not easy to start they can be challenging to keep healthy in areas where fungal diseases can be problematic. Florida is likely less prone to such issues, but it is also warmish and Prunus serrulata the true Japanese cherry is listed in Dirr as "Zone 5 to 6, and south depending on the clone" so it may well be impossible unless you find a specific clone that works. I might steer you to Taiwan cherry (P. campanulata), also used in Japanese gardens, very refined, and tolerant of Zone 9 temps. Dirr says "the flowers may be the most handsome of all ornamental cherries." High praise from the high priest of woody ornamentals...

HG
Hi
There are some cherry tree grow large and some are compact.
In Japan there over 350 or more named cherry tree. most are white to pink floer, One cherry bloom is avocad color. Since cherry tree bleed lot if pruned, if you have large garden and don't have to controle size, Youshino, Kanzan, Hegan. one compact cherry bloom twice per year, spring and fall. some bloom twice in spring. Since cherry tree cannot import from Japan, we have limited number of variety, dozen or so.

Cherry tree grow and bloom in Okinawa where similar to south Florida weather. However My 12 and 1/2 years in Miami as gardener, I din't see many cherry tree.

Cherry tree can stand wet soil, clay and wet soil, relatively short span of life 50 to 70 years. some old one exist , 200~300 years old however.
Bloosam fall and stick to deck , objects. Flower is beautifful but be wear that cleaning flower on grund take some time... flower can make tea for happy occasion, leaf of Oshima sakura can be eaten.
popular cherry tree such as youshino cherry make small fruit , good for bird not attractive as other tree's fruit.......
I got to go.
yama

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yamakami-san, I am pleased and honored to have you here... :D

Yama's advice comes with credentials; he is a long time J-gardener from thirteen generations of niwashi, and has forgotten more than I will ever know on the subject. If he says so, it's so...

Arigato gozaimashita, Yama-san... please PM me at your convenience...

Scott

yama

Hi scott
Long time no see :D Please contact me. yama

Return to “Japanese Garden Forum”