HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Re: Backyard bird and butterfly (and dragonfly too) watching

You are lucky to have robins. I used to have them but they don't come around anymore. My yard is all natural and full of worms.

applestar
Mod

Do they specifically not come to *your* garden or have they stopped migrating to your area entirely?

Migrating robins passing through go crazy over birdbaths and water features. When I had a little waterfall and a tiny stream going a couple of years ago (had to be abandoned due to defective design on my part), robins occupied every level of the waterfall and all along the stream. I'm definitely going to try setting one up again when I manage to finish my pond project.

Here are a few more pictures I took today (well, yesterday)
image.jpg

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I don't know. Too much development probably. Things have changed alot over the years. I'm sure it's some sort of environmental thing. I saw a tree full of robins not too far away - about 6 miles away - so they are around. It's more woodsy there so they probably like that better. The tree had orange berries. It was January so they were robins that stuck it out through the winter, didn't migrate. The tree was packed full of robins. Seeing so many robins at once like that was a once in a lifetime experience.

applestar
Mod

Snowbirds (Junco) are here, mingling with remaining/migrating through robins at the various birdbath stations in the garden -- changing of the guard as it were.

More fall leaf photos (actually from the front yard :wink: )
image.jpg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have not seen a robin in several weeks.

However, the juncos arrived only a few days ago :). At first, the residence song sparrows seemed all aflutter, trying to keep up with the juncos.

Now, they are going their separate ways.

Steve

LIcenter

According to a couple of bird sights I'm on, we have two types of seasonal robins here. One will show up in the spring, and stay for the summer for breeding. They will then leave in the early fall, and the winter robin will take it's place living mainly on berries in the area. I'm seeing a handful now, but couldn't tell you which one it is, as we are still very mild here weather wise.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”