Susan W
Greener Thumb

How sweet it is!

I have a new bed off to the side since last summer, and put in my starts of monarda (red and lavender, both native), Echinacea (native TN, purple), and some comfrey. All survived and going gangbusters now. The coneflower is blooming. Wow! I staked the monardas as they got tall, and can easily go over with these heavy rains. Red is coming into bloom, other not far behind.

That is back story. This AM taking a walk-about noticed a swallowtail on the monarda, and hadn't seen any yet. This means little eggs and larvae will be showing up on the parsley soon. I have several small pots of parsley separate from the 'cash crop' that I call the caterpillar B & B's. When one is seen in the main area, lift it on leaf to it's area.

This evening noticed a hummingbird on the monarda getting its fill.

applestar
Mod

Very nice! It's a great idea to have "caterpillar B&B" (I like that! :D ) set aside for them.
I'm seeing black swallowtails too. Also saw my first Tiger Swallowtail of the season the other day.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Now I have the "buzzin' of the bees", few butterflies, perhaps early. The lavender bee balm - monarda is blooming full and it is covered with bumblebees. I did see my hummingbird briefly coming in for its afternoon cocktail on the red bee balm.

Yesterday I checked out a neighborhood butterfly garden. It is alongside a well used walking/bike trail, what was an old railroad bed. The garden is quite big, great variety of plants. It is planted and tended by volunteers in that neighborhood. Let's just say I was impressed! I noticed bees, few butterflies, again may be early. One section is monarch friendly with several common milkweed and butterfly weed.

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”