applestar
Mod

Backyard Drama -- WITNESSED !! :)

I love catching glimpses of little backyard dramas :D

Yesterday afternoon, over the Sunny Meadow Garden, there was a near mid-air collision between a fast-moving "harrier" and a languid "ornithopter": A Ruby-throated Hummingbird, dashing on direct flight to the next nectar spot, almost flew into an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. The hummer, no bigger than one set of the butterflies wings, instantly stopped its forward motion, backed a little bit, then buzzed all around the slowly flapping swallowtail (probably chittering away at it, though I couldn't hear since I was watching from a closed upstairs window) then streaked off.

Early this morning, in the Old Sunflower House area, a tiny House Wren zoomed out of its house to THE favorite perch on top of the arch trellis, only to find it occupied by an even tinier Ruby-throated Hummingbird momentarily resting its wings. Ousted, the hummer buzzed all around, telling the wren off, no doubt (again watching from closed upstairs window) then streaked off. :lol:

lorax
Greener Thumb

Have you ever watched a hummie have a near-miss with another hummie? It's really something, and then they fight about it. :shock: I was watching it in the garden this morning with a pair of Sparkling Violetears, which are about the same size as sparrows. The loser ended up in my kitchen, hiding I guess, since there isn't anything in there that would otherwise appeal to a hummie. :()

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh196/HabloPorArboles/SparklingVioletear.jpg[/img]

These same birds are the terror of our neighbourhood - even the giant Andean wrens (a bird about the size of a crow) are afraid of them.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Dang you all got some mad birds where you live. :lol:

bangstrom

Hummies and humans don't share the same spacetime reference frame. They are curious birds and their frequent close calls aren't close at all. If you watch people exploring a garden they will walk directly towards a plant of interest and study it for a moment and then move on. Hummies do the same thing but at high speed and to us it looks like they are bungling from one near accident to another. This is frightening when you are the object of their attention and it looks like a near collision with your face but they are only studying us the way we might stop to study a statue and there is no danger involved.

ronbre
Cool Member

I love when the males try to get attention from the females and they fly in an arc like a pendulum..we have a lot of hummers here..and have just discovered how much they LOVE catnip..maybe they shouldn't as our cats love catnip too..and are always nearby..

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”