meldel8
Newly Registered

Help for Overwintering!

Hi Y'all!
I am new this forum but I think its great to have support like this!

I have been trying to figure out when is the best time to wrap my shrub and baby tree in burlap for the winter. It will be going in the the minus in a couple days so I really need your help. I live in Montreal, Quebec. I believe the hardiness zone is 5a or 5b.

I have a small amelanchier/juneberry tree in a 40 gallon nursery pot, the tree is about 5-6 feet high, all the leaves have fallen off by now. I want to make sure it doesn't die during the winter. I was thinking of wrapping it in burlap and storing it under the balcony laying down? Should I do this now or later? Do I need to water it well before or keep it dry?
Basically the same question for a small flowering shrub I have in a 10 gallon pot, but it still has some leaves on it. I have a cold frame, should I put it in there? When?

I would appreciate any help and tips! :-()
Thank you! :D

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I would dig a hole set the pot down in that hole and mulch over the top of the pot. Amelancher crowns can take the cold for your zone.

meldel8
Newly Registered

I thought of that the only thing is that its a pretty big pot and my earth is pretty hard to dig into, plus the snow. I feel like I am a little too late. I have a raised bed though, its about 1 foot high; if I put it in there and cover it with earth and leaves, should that do the trick?

thanks yoU!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

meldel8 wrote:I thought of that the only thing is that its a pretty big pot and my earth is pretty hard to dig into, plus the snow. I feel like I am a little too late. I have a raised bed though, its about 1 foot high; if I put it in there and cover it with earth and leaves, should that do the trick?

thanks yoU!
Yes.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”