coastalgreen
Newly Registered

Replacing Dead Cedars in a Hedge

hi everyone,

I have been set to task to replace some cedars ( I think they are emerald judging from what I've read?) at my sister's house.
I'm going to have a few questions, as this is new territory for me, and I recognize that doing it properly will save time and $ in the long run.

They are located in Victoria, BC, and have southern exposure.

1) First things first, removing the dead ones. I am worried about damaging the healthy ones. should I simply dig as close as possible to the base of the dead ones? I'm worried about hitting healthy roots nearby.

2) I've heard that western red cedars are smaller at first but root better and grow healthier in the long run. is it advisable to simply plant what is currently in the hedge? or is it OK to mix types? and what size is best to start? the fence is 5' tall.

3) any suggestions as to why certain ones died, while others thrived? there are 14 dead.

The vines shown appeared after the cedars died, but it is curious that they are attacking the dead and not the living....not sure if that is a root cause of the deaths? The house was rented out for a couple years, so there was lowered maintenance for that time. I'll be sure to ensure the soil is treated properly with the recommended supplements etc to make sure the newly planted ones live longer lives.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions, much appreciated!

ps: please excuse the images not being rotated.

paul.

[
Attachments
hedge 3.JPG
hedge 2.JPG
hedge 1.jpg

AimeeHoward
Newly Registered

Hi I guess it is because they are probably planted on a shady place. Or may be you have planted them too deep.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Digging the roots is going to be very difficult and no matter how careful you are you will damage some roots on the living trees. It's usually not a good idea to plant the same kind of tree where one has died. It won't hurt anything to mix trees in hedges.
The vines look like morning glory or bindweed. They took over the dead trees because they could get more light there. I doubt they are the reason the trees died. But the vines need to be eliminated before you plant new trees.
Do you have any idea how long the trees have been dead? It looks like maybe a few years. They could have died for any number of reasons, drought being the most possible.

coastalgreen
Newly Registered

thanks.
I'm doubting morning glory, as I don't think there are any flowers. (assuming all morning glory have flowers)
I'll have to look into how to get rid of that...at least it's centralized along the fence-line and hasn't sprouted throughout the yard.

I've started to dig up the dead, and they're coming up a lot more easily than I expected, just some light digging close to the base and lifting out.
a few of them have curved bases, which doesn't look right to me... (see photo).

I learnt today that this isn't the first time there's been a need to replace some,(2nd time in the last 5 years). So I'm assuming something is off with the soil, or they weren't planted quite right. There's browning on the fence-side of the healthy ones, which I equate to lack of sunlight?

any suggestions as to other options of species to plant alongside would be appreciated. I think mixture is good, but the goal of this hedge is to cover the fence and fill in for privacy. (there is a bylaw in that area that does not allow fences this high, but hedges are allowed)
Attachments
hedge 5.jpg
hedge 4.JPG

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

From what I was reading about the trees they need a lot of water. But the trunk should not look like that. So it's probably a combination of less than healthy trees and not enough water. At any rate I would not keep replacing them with the same kind of tree because that obviously isn't working. I'm not familiar with evergreen shrubs that grow well in your area but I know I would not plant more of the same type in that area.

coastalgreen
Newly Registered

I agree, as the cost of $5/foot adds up quickly. funny thing is, all nurseries in Victoria carry cedars as they are very popular here, but there is an infinite amount of brown hedges in these parts...
thanks for your input, I guess I need to ask around local nurseries. or maybe drive around that neighborhood and see what's working for others!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”