Cna
Newly Registered

Golden Medallion Tree not thriving, help!

I live in Riverside County, CA. It is dry and hot. I water the tree regularly and it dies back every end of Summer. I have had it 4 years. It is no taller than when I planted it. I pruned suckers the first 3 years then this year did not. The suckers/side branchings off the main trunk grew in one season as tall as the tree itself but the tree is no taller. About 10 feet tall. It blossomed this year, about 6 flowers. Then slowly it began dying from the tips of the branches back. There are yellow butterflies that visit this tree regularly. Could they be carrying a pest or fungus? I wanted a 20 foot beauty an have a gangly, deadish eyesore. Any ideas anyone?

Cna
Newly Registered

Here is a photo of the leaves.
Sorry, I am learning to upload photos. Working on the one with the tree branches.
Attachments
Golden Medallion leaves
Golden Medallion leaves

Cna
Newly Registered

Here are the branches. They were full in July and started dying in August, now look like this.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Cna
Newly Registered

Found caterpillars. Can these be the whole problem or is there more to it? They belong to a yellow butterfly I believe to be a sulfur something butterfly.

Anyone with ideas? I would like to save the tree but limping along for the 5th year is a bit much.
Thanks for your replies!
Attachments
image.jpeg

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”