Evil Scotsman

Trees that produce Reds/Oranges in Fall!??!

New to forums and even newer to planting/gardening if that is even possible! :oops:

We have a .5 or .75 acre yard oddly shaped (triangle) right now the front and side of the yard is covered with box hedges that my wife (and I pretty much) hate and want gone. We have already received the news from some kind folks her that they are too big to transplant to my sister. So we will most likely just cut them out. Anyway, I would love to plant a tree in the yard in memory of my wifes Uncle. (that is who she inherited the house from) We don't really have ALOT of room so I would like a tree that doesn't get REAL big? 20' or close to it? But HAS to turn Reds Organges in the fall? My wife found an ORANGE Japenese maple (pic on internet) that she really liked, but haven't seen them anywhere around where we live. (ZONE 7 just found that out AHAHAHA) How about a regular maple? Is there such a thing as a dwarf maple??? I warned you I was below a newbie! THANK YOU EVERYONE for your input and suggestions. One last thing do I have to worry about roots attacking plumbing?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Plant a franklinia.

applestar
Mod

Are you the one I recommended going to the Tyler Arboretum plant sale? I highly recommend it. Also the native plant sale at Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve as I said.

I'll think of some trees and tall shrubs. What kind of shape are you thinking? Single trunk? Because taller shrubs might work too.

Off hand, I was thinking Serviceberry (Amelanchier) or a native dogwood....

Evil Scotsman

applestar wrote:Are you the one I recommended going to the Tyler Arboretum plant sale? I highly recommend it. Also the native plant sale at Bowman's Hill Wildflower Preserve as I said.

I'll think of some trees and tall shrubs. What kind of shape are you thinking? Single trunk? Because taller shrubs might work too.

Off hand, I was thinking Serviceberry (Amelanchier) or a native dogwood....
I will DEFINTLY look into Tyler and Bowmans THANK YOU! I was thinking single trunk.

Canoe

As I am more or less a newbie as well I don't have a lot of thing to offer here. But I just got a dwarf japenese maple called a "Fireglow". It will only get to about 15 feet tall and wide. I talked to the nursery guy I got it from and was told that this is one type that sometimes is used as Bonsi trees. So it can stay in a pot if you want to keep it small. It is a dark burgandy type color at this time and gets almost fire red in the fall.

I am only going by what I was told or read. But I hope that info helps you.

Canoe

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”