hollygb22
Newly Registered

Tomato Blight help

I'm new to gardening and just moved into a home with a raised bed. This is my first shot and we have numerous tomato plants that have grown extremely well. They're tall and lush looking with tons of blossoms and large fruit.

Over the past week, I noticed some bottom leaves turning yellow, then brown and falling off the stems. I've also notice some larger fruit having some rotten spots on them.

After reading through these forums, I'm assuming it's a case of blight vs. BER. My question...besides the bottom of my plants, the rest looks great with lots of blossoms and fruit...is there anything to salvage the plants?

Thanks!

Roger

If it is actually blight [or one of the tomato viral diseases] there isn't anything you can do once it manifests in the garden except containment. Often plants that have these diseases will continue to produce adequately, despite the dying of the lower portions of the plant. On the other hand, some varaties of tomato plants wither and die from the bottom up as the plant matures and ages.

To be sure, I would say handle affected parts of the plants last when you are picking/pruning your plants, after handling of the upper, healthy appearing portions of the plants or another unaffected plant. Dispose of leaves or stems that fall to the ground, and perhaps prune some of the lower dying or dead stems.

Plant something other than tomatoes at this spot next year. You can make another simple bed near your established one, and just move your tomato planting back and forth year to year. Or better, have three beds so each bed is on a three year rotation. Rotating crops is the best prevention for a lot of different plant problems.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”