terriers4me
Newly Registered

Tomatoes wilted by too much rain

My tomatoes were doing beautifully until last week. We had many inches of rain in a couple of days and now they look like plants that have been frozen. They are still dark green but many are extremely wilted. The few tomatoes are beginning to ripen already, which seems early for upstate NY. Any suggestions or is it a lost cause and I should just pull them up and try again next year? I've never seen this happen before but I did plant them in a new bed that is wetter than the old. Thanks for any help. I'm really upset by this. Tomatoes are always my most favorite crop!

Roger

I wouldn't pull them up just yet. If it is just a case of too much water, the wilting look to the leaves is a normal reaction, and a few days of good clear weather will probably be all they need to return to normal, especially if they are maintaining a good healthy green color.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Roger wrote:I wouldn't pull them up just yet. If it is just a case of too much water, the wilting look to the leaves is a normal reaction, and a few days of good clear weather will probably be all they need to return to normal, especially if they are maintaining a good healthy green color.
I agree! Let the soil dry out and see how they do after that.

Anonymous

Hi:
Tomato plants can be very finicky. Some will love the extra water and others will croak. Here's a (brief) plan of action.
Remove any mulch from around the plants.
Apply DRY sphagnum peat moss and work into into the soil a couple of inches, from base out to the drip line, with a hand cultivator.
That's also a good time to work a tsp of epsom salts, lime and other fertilizer (E.g., cottonseed meal) into the soil. Go easy on the nitrogen. Fish emulsion is strong enough. Lime is to counter the acidity of the peat as well as add calcium which can leech out of soil due to heavy rains.
{FYI: The dry peat will act like a sponge sucking up the excess water and also aerating the soil if it is cultivated into the top inch or two. Peat dries faster than soil ...}

After the soil has dried a bit the plants should be fine. Don't worry.

One more thing:
Add & push dirt up around the base of the plant 3 or 4 " high so that it will form new roots on higher ground. Taking off the bottom leaves is OK(advised) to do that. I have even pushed it up over branches with fruits on them. The plants appear to love the extra sources for obtaining nutrients. ( Don't go crazy with it tho' and water it too much at the base; although rare, stems can rot. )

Next year: raised bed(s) w/b a good idea..

Let us know ...

Have Fun!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”